TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you think Tesla will package AWD Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mikevbf, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. alloverx

alloverx Member

I have air suspension on my 12 year old Toyota (95,000 miles) and zero issues.

• Like x 1
  2. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I'm not saying it's a 100% chance of failure. I'm saying that the chance of failure outweighs the benefits for me. That's especially easy when the benefits for me are nil.

• Love x 1
  3. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

It hasn’t been announced how they are doing dual motor in the 3 but if it’s like the S and X, then yes. It’s worth the effort.

In the S and X the front motor is optimized for efficiency and the rear motor for performance. It’s the ICE equivalent of having a very efficient 4 cylinder fwd car and a massive v12 rwd car in one.

For heavy acceleration, the rear motor does most of the work. For cruising, the front motor does all the work. For traction limited scenarios both motors work as traction allows. It’s one of the reasons why the dual motor Tesla’s get both better range and better performance than single motor Tesla’s.

• Like x 1
  4. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Tesla (TSLA) to Enable Torque Sleep in Dual Motor Model S - Analyst Blog

NASDAQ:
    "Tesla Motors, Inc. ( TSLA ) is planning a software update for its dual motor Model S vehicles that will enable torque sleep in the cars. This means that torque sleep will be enabled in one of the drive units when torque is not required. Thereafter, the unit will become active as soon as the accelerator is pressed.

According to Tesla, the change will be so smooth that the driver will not be able to feel it. However, this small change will increase the range of the dual motor Model S vehicles by around 10%. It will also increase the top speed of the dual motor vehicles to 155 miles per hour (mph) from the previous limit of 130 mph.

The software update will be available from Jan-end in all dual motor Model S vehicles."

• Informative x 1
  5. kengchang

kengchang Member

AWD range is still currently rated same as RWD by Tesla.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Need

Need Active Member

It will probably package with SAS and White Interior Color for $6000! You either take them all or none. :p

• Funny x 1
  7. D3xDt3Reaction

Good point. Range is listed the same. I think we should be careful not to extrapolate too much from Model S experience. One thing I’ve gleaned from Tesla Model 3 gets hacked, reveals more details and great potential for dual motor/ performance versions is that the battery is probably not the performance limiter (1200A is a lot), so I’d expect the dual motor config to have a lot more 0-60 potential than the 0.1s difference between S75 and S75D. Tesla could of course nerf the car in software but another motor could do a lot for performance if not range.

8. D3xDt3Reaction

A relative bargain if it makes sub-4s 0-60, at least in my opinion. But maybe that will be reserved for Ludicrous/Performance at a higher cost.

9. alloverx

alloverx Member

Right but has anyone actually tested this range increase independently?
    Can you?
    Guess you would need one D without the firmware update and another one with the update.

10. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Are we sure you can torque sleep a (rear) permanant magnet motor?

11. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

My guess is that they won't let the plain dual motor Model 3 get in the 3s for 0-60. I am guessing low 4s. Add Ludicrous for an extra 10K to get low 3s. Just a guess of course.

Dan

12. svp6

svp6 Member

I did - and many others have. I had one of the very early P85Ds. We did not have torque sleep for a while - there were a lot of posts talking how Tesla cheated everyone by saying AWD will be more efficient yet it was not. After they updated the software to torque sleep there was a significant improvement on highway range - provided you use "range mode" on. If I remember correctly, about 5% gain.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Would it not simply show up on your screen with your 90% charge range going up by the ten percent the next time you charged your car after the update?

14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Tesla might be listing the same EPA rated range now for marketing purposes but Tesla had a range calculator that showed the difference previously.

Driving Range for the Model S Family

EPA style
    * 85D 270
    * 85 265
    * P85D 253

with the disclaimer "Values for 85D and P85D are pending final confirmation from the EPA and use new dual motor torque sleep control software available by the end of January 2015."

65 mph cruising range style

* 85D 295
    * 85 285
    * P85D 285

Clearly showing a range increase for Dual motor. It's just when they ended up with Model 3 in the mix they started hiding tech specs to influence purchasing decisions.

The physics didn't change, the marketing did.

• Funny x 1
  15. D3xDt3Reaction

I’m trying to stay optimistic, but I agree it could go that way. Looking at the “leaked” image at Tesla Model 3 dual motor design leaks in latest design studio update, the front motor looks substantial without any apparent reduction in the rear motor. If that’s the real setup I would think breaking 4s would be no problem unless the car is software limited.

16. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I've speculated software might be the biggest difference between performance AWD and AWD.

There are legit reasons to charge more for covering warranty liabilities on a high performance variant.

• Like x 1
  17. tpatana

tpatana Member

I'm more curious if the frunk space will change.

And if not, can I take non-AWD frunk and DIY modify it bigger?

18. dss33

dss33 Member

I don't think so, because the AWD-related components aren't adjacent to the frunk in any real way.

The short answer to your second question is, not really. Maybe though, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 8.50.34 PM.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. tpatana

tpatana Member

I guess I'm sensitive for trunk space at the moment, as my current vehicle sucks. 2016 VW Beetle. In theory the trunk has decent amount of cu.ft., but in practice the trunk shape is the worst ever since 1950 Beetle. Can't fit anything there because of the shape. To contrast that, my previous was 2006 Chrysler 300C. The trunk was like bag of holding. One time I put 50" plasma TV with fixed stand inside the trunk. Store clerk said impossible to fit in a sedan. I proved him wrong. I'd say ~4x more usable space compared to the Beetle, regardless what the brochure claims for the trunk volume.

• Funny x 2
  20. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Bag of holding. Good stuff.