Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you tow a dead Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
like many, many people in Texas, I'm having to have my flooded car towed away. Someone finally showed up with a flat bed but claimed they wouldn't be able to get the Tesla out of my garage and onto the truck and that they would need a wheel lift truck. Anyone with an idea on how you tow a completely dead Tesla out of a garage? I assume there is no way to be able to push it out either.

IMG_0002.JPG

I would assume wheel dollies would be used.

You need to disengage the rear parking brake.

If your car has the 2 calipers on the rear you'd need to remove the inside part of it and manually back out the park brake to release the wheels. If it is a newer vehicle this may be integrated into the single rear caliper.

Or they can just drag it?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Tesla in a flood plain:

Buy a swimming pool about 20 feet in diameter with the thickest plastic available. When flood is imminent carefully drive car over the pool and tie pool up over the hood and tailgate. Use redundant ties so the thing cannot fall down and let in water. Charge car to 90% SOC. Hook up an electric pump to start pumping if water level should rise due to unforseen leaks. If the pool is big enough you could tie it above the roof allowing the car to actually float on the water. In that case lash the car in place as you would a small boat to a dock in a way that allows it to rise with the flood.
--

Last edited:
Yeah, you need some type of wheel lift truck to drag it. Just went through it. Call Tesla roadside. Those guys know how to do it if you need it moved soon. They know how to do it without damaging the front end too, by using wood planks.

Attachments

• IMG_20170901_123333.jpg
    IMG_20170901_123333.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 291
As I've posted before it is easy to drag a ModelS by nylon strapping to each 6 o'clock spoke on the locked wheels. If all 4 wheels are locked for some odd reason then hook to all 4 wheels @6 o'clock spoke. Let the straps equalize at the tow point. You will not hurt the rims or strain the car's frame if you do it this way. On gravel it is easy, on dry concrete you may scuff some rubber but so what. You can also place a plastic cafeteria tray under a locked wheel or spread some oil on the contact surface.
--

Reactions: JPUConn
Tesla in a flood plain:

Buy a swimming pool about 20 feet in diameter with the thickest plastic available. When flood is imminent carefully drive car over the pool and tie pool up over the hood and tailgate. Use redundant ties so the thing cannot fall down and let in water. Charge car to 90% SOC. Hook up an electric pump to start pumping if water level should rise due to unforseen leaks. If the pool is big enough you could tie it above the roof allowing the car to actually float on the water. In that case lash the car in place as you would a small boat to a dock in a way that allows it to rise with the flood.
--

Uhm. I suppose you decided tying a lot of helium balloons to it left it too much to the vagaries of the winds. Or something else....

To the rest of you, thanks!

The car is totalled, so I don't care about them damaging it on the way out. Just need it gone.

If totaled I think you could be a little less careful about where to hook up the winch, the post about strapping to the rims was good and thoughtful but apparently more delicate than necessary here.
Hook to the rims however is easiest and brute force it out.

Even if you were flooded with saltwater like the Jersey Shore flooded Tesla was, your car still has considerable value. If fresh water then full recovery is indeed possible. Did the battery allow water to infiltrate is the big question. Sell this salvage car to a private party who can take it home to flush out and dry as quickly as possible. You will end up with the same amount of money (likely) but the car might be saved as a result if this is done quickly.
--