TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do you 'unlock' the charge cable/plug remotely?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MMinehan, Oct 1, 2016.

1. MMinehan

MMinehan Member

I asked this question in the Australian/New Zealand forum and was advised to ask it here. Pictures in the original post.
    (How do you release the charge port using the app?)

I am trying to figure out how to release (unlock) the charge port remotely while the MS is charging.

The setting is like this: you are charging at a public charger and have left an EV etiquette tag saying it is OK to unplug as I am 'opportunity charging'. The tag has your phone number on it so people can call you. You are at work, or shopping or something.

The problem is people can't physically unplug the cable while the vehicle is locked. A good thing in certain situations, but not so good in others.

I would like to be able to release the plug from port using the app without having to either physically go to the vehicle or unlock the entire vehicle.

I have the android version of the app.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I don't think it can be done without unlocking the car at the same time. Plus, what does the person do with your J1772 adapter? I guess they could put it under the tire or something but I'd hate to come back and find it missing. I leave my cell number on the dash and ask to be called if the charger is needed since I'm always close by.

3. MMinehan

MMinehan Member

#3 MMinehan, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    The J1772 adapter actually isn't an issue as they can just unplug the J1772 plug from the adapter. It's not locked to the adapter. But the adapter is locked in the port.

I guess I should have mentioned that the Australian/New Zealand MS come with Tesla Type 2 (Mennekes Type 2) charge ports, not the proprietary Tesla ports. Type 2 charging is going to be the new agreed standard in NZ (as documented by our transport agency). Currently many of our level 2 chargers are indeed J1772, but that is slowly changing as Type 2 gets rolled out.

• Informative x 1
  4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Yes, good point. I never thought of that. It would be interesting to hear if there's a way to let someone remove the plug with the app but leave the adapter in place. I don't think so, and if not there should be.

5. KF94563

KF94563 Member

You could always leave a note on your dashboard to tell anyone to text you if they want to charge, then unlock using the app and re-lock the doors when they remove the plug. You'd need a little trust in your fellow EV-drivers, but Kiwi's are all good folks.

I'll be looking for your car on my next trip to NZ. I hear there's over 40 cars in the country now.

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Remote S has an unlock charge port button on it. I haven't tried doing that from a distance, but it seems like it should do what you want.

• Like x 1
  7. MMinehan

MMinehan Member

Yes, over 40 registered since August. I know of 3 more coming into the country. But we have no support here in NZ as there are no Tesla shops or rangers. The good news is Tesla have registered as a company and there are rumors they have been looking for sites. So hopefully mid 2017 they will show up.
    I am using Android. You would think it would be an option in the native app. Someone said it can be done using the API.

I don't know how to contact Tesla for suggestions. Every time I click the 'support link' on the official website it redirects to the Australian service site, which happens because I am in NZ I guess. If anyone knows how to get in touch with the Tesla app developers that would be great.

• Like x 1