Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you unplug the charger in the morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this model 3 specific? If so there's a whole forum for that. This section should relate to Canada stuff.

Moderators?

Poor title - technically applies to all EVs; not just Teslas. But since we're in the Tesla Motor Club site, sure it now applies to S, X, 3, and R models.

It is a Canada thing since we're likely to experience the winter issues more than our Californian peers.

Anyone else have the button on the UMC freeze solid before?

Ran into that the other day, so I had to use the app to unlock the charger plug so I could unplug it.
Since then, I’ve only noticed when I go to plug in: the button freezes so I can’t pop the charging hatch with it, I have to tap the charging hatch lightly so it’ll pop open for me.

It’s not a huge issue, but it makes me wonder about how weatherproof the UMC is. Wonder if the HPWC is any better in that regard.

Hi @Vawlkus,

I'm not sure if this answers your question about weatherproof, but here are some selected items from the Gen 2 UMC Owners Manual...

- Do not expose the Mobile Connector to flammable or harsh chemicals or vapours. Do not use or store the Mobile Connector in a recessed area or below floor level. When using the Mobile Connector in an inside location such as a garage, position the Mobile Connector’s main controller at least 18 inches (46 cm) above the floor.

- Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

- Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times. If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use the Mobile Connector.

- If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.

- Do not operate the Mobile Connector in temperatures outside its operating range of -22°F to 122°F (-30°C to +50°C).

I was going to say... "the same way I do it at night?"

If it's anything like the Model S (and most EVs), the connector is locked when the car is locked. Unlock the car - no need to open the door - and then the connector will unlock.

If the car is in deep sleep, regardless model x/s/3, the unlock button on the charger doesn't work. However, the wake timing of model x/s/3 are different so users will have different experiences. Model 3 seems having the most frequent sleeps according to its unique software.

If the car is in deep sleep, regardless model x/s/3, the unlock button on the charger doesn't work. However, the wake timing of model x/s/3 are different so users will have different experiences. Model 3 seems having the most frequent sleeps according to its unique software.
The Model 3 is the newborn so naturally, it requires more sleeps!