Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you unplug the charger in the morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set up the charging to start at 3am in my garage. However every morning when I get to the car, I have to open one of the doors and close it so the charging light turns on from black. Only then, I can unplug the charger. Any better suggestions?

If you're using a HPWC, there is a button on the wand piece. If you press that it will stop charging, light goes white and you can unplug. At least for me, the disconnect window is pretty small (1-2 seconds). If I don't unplug it relocks.

From what I gather, this relies on the phone-as-key, so if it isn't working for you it could be that the car hasn't sensed the Bluetooth from your phone yet.

If you're using a HPWC, there is a button on the wand piece. If you press that it will stop charging, light goes white and you can unplug. At least for me, the disconnect window is pretty small (1-2 seconds). If I don't unplug it relocks.

From what I gather, this relies on the phone-as-key, so if it isn't working for you it could be that the car hasn't sensed the Bluetooth from your phone yet.

That only works if your model 3 is not asleep. If the car finished charging to the limit set, it will probably be asleep and you will have to open a door or trunk to wake it before you could press the button to unlock the handle. That's the way most of us has to unplug the car in the morning.

That only works if your model 3 is not asleep. If the car finished charging to the limit set, it will probably be asleep and you will have to open a door or trunk to wake it before you could press the button to unlock the handle. That's the way most of us has to unplug the car in the morning.

I don't remember having to do anything special to wake up the car to release the HPWC. The way my garage is setup I walk around from the passenger side, along the trunk, disconnect the charger, and go to the drivers door. So I'm sure there is no extra step for me required to wake it up.

I'm wondering if pressing the button can wake-up the car? Or perhaps since I typically have a persistent Bluetooth connection from my garage/car to the phone in the house, simply the car is not entering sleep.

I think you can get away with just pushing on the rear door handle a bit without having to actually open the door. Either that or use the phone app to rouse the car before heading out to the garage.

Reactions: TDog
I don't remember having to do anything special to wake up the car to release the HPWC. The way my garage is setup I walk around from the passenger side, along the trunk, disconnect the charger, and go to the drivers door. So I'm sure there is no extra step for me required to wake it up.

I'm wondering if pressing the button can wake-up the car? Or perhaps since I typically have a persistent Bluetooth connection from my garage/car to the phone in the house, simply the car is not entering sleep.

Well there are a few threads on this. I am pretty sure for model 3, if the car is asleep, you can't unlock the handle from the charge port by pressing the button. Someone said you used to be able to when the car would "unlock" when your phone is close by. But now the car would only unlock when you open something. Are you running any 3rd party software that pulls data from the car and keeps it awake? Are you using a garage profile to turn off auto lock in the garage? Unless HPWC handle button works differently than UMC handle's button?

I just press on the driver's door as i walk by on my way to unplug the charger, also if you just stand by the door for a second or two then it will wake up enough for me to be able to unplug it.
If you walk by too fast it does not detect it for long enough and standing just behind the rear doors it seems to be a phone key dead zone and it won't respond to me just pressing the button, unless I have my phone out of my pocket.

Well there are a few threads on this. I am pretty sure for model 3, if the car is asleep, you can't unlock the handle from the charge port by pressing the button. Someone said you used to be able to when the car would "unlock" when your phone is close by. But now the car would only unlock when you open something. Are you running any 3rd party software that pulls data from the car and keeps it awake? Are you using a garage profile to turn off auto lock in the garage? Unless HPWC handle button works differently than UMC handle's button?

I'm not using anything special. But I suspect that the car is not going into a deep sleep because it almost always has a Bluetooth connection to my phone - when parked in the garage, and charging. So this is probably why the button to unlock the charger just works.

You don't have to open a door or the trunk, you just have to press in the handle enough to wake up the car. As I walk by the car to get to the HPWC I press in on a handle enough to wake the car up, then by the time I get to the charge port, it responds to my pressing the button on the handle. Simply push on a handle enough so that you hear the car wake up without actually opening the door, it's a natural motion for me now - I do it without thinking, but it takes maybe 1/3" of pushing in to wake the car without opening the door.

I'm not using anything special. But I suspect that the car is not going into a deep sleep because it almost always has a Bluetooth connection to my phone - when parked in the garage, and charging. So this is probably why the button to unlock the charger just works.

Probably. My car is parked outside... pretty far away from the phone. Phone Key is not "Connected" for sure in the morning until I get to the car. I have to open the door to put my bag in anyway, so opening the door is not really something extra I have to do. I did try standing next to the charge port and hold the button of the charge handle for like 20 sec.... just for experiment... didn't work. The car was quite asleep.

You don't have to open a door or the trunk, you just have to press in the handle enough to wake up the car. As I walk by the car to get to the HPWC I press in on a handle enough to wake the car up, then by the time I get to the charge port, it responds to my pressing the button on the handle. Simply push on a handle enough so that you hear the car wake up without actually opening the door, it's a natural motion for me now - I do it without thinking, but it takes maybe 1/3" of pushing in to wake the car without opening the door.
Thank you for the tip. It sounds practical. I will give a try tomorrow morning.

I also noticed that for those who always get the cat stay on, it’s probably someone is doing the constant API calls such as teslafy or maybe hacked?

With my S I approach from the rear driver's side. I either have to go up near the door for the fob to be recognized or more often I just double tap to unlock as I approach.
I am sure the door handle being pressed would work too but left hand is usually carrying a lunch cooler so the fob is easier.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krakhaus
So I'm surprised to hear so many people saying they have to tap/open a door etc... before they can unplug their car. I had only a few days after one update where my charger would not unplug from the car. It was frustrating, but after a few days it went back to functioning like normal: when I press the button on the charger handle, it wakes up the car, and unlocks the charger port. I think at the time I was having other issues with the car, and was speaking with one of the Tesla service people through email, and mentioned what I saw as a further deterioration in the car's function. Not sure if my email was a coincidence and the car was just going through a "phase" or if they actually did something behind the scenes, but for all but 3 days of those 5 months, charging or not, when I press the charger button, the port unlocks.

Of note, I always have my phone on me when I'm doing this.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a Tesla UMC, HPWC or using the J1772 adapter. The car needs to unlock first then press and HOLD the unlock button down. Just a press will get you that 1-2 second experience.

I realize the Model 3 may have some different unlocking patterns but our Model S is very consistent how it unlocks. Approach and it unlocks. Unless you walk by several times without opening a door. Then the car figures “Oh so you’re just pretending you’re going to drive me” “ Just for that now I’m going to make you touch my door handle to prove we’re actually going for a drive “

I have a daily routine on Monday to Friday so I'm subscribed to TeslaFi. I can schedule when to wake up the car to charge, preheat the cable, and set the SOC charge limits. I'm a zombie in the morning so with TeslaFi, I don't need to worry about the car. Just get out of bed, take a shower and drive off.

I manually preheat in the morning, due to my direction of approach I use the fob to unlock, or step up towards the door more to get the handles to present, then grab the cable.

I think the approach is what is throwing people. If I approach from the front and walk by the handles will present and I can unplug.
I think the car has two stages of recognizing the fob. One where it knows you are near and will respond to a handle touch, and a second where it knows you are very close and unlocks on its own without a touch.

I have the same issue as the OP. I submitted a feature suggestion to allow the pressing of the hpwc button to unlock if the phone-key is detected. All the doors and trunk do it after all. Part of the twitter suggestion thread Elon had a little while back. Who knows maybe they’ll implement it.