Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Do You Use Your Frunk with Auto Frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
I am just trying to see your use cases for the "motorized" auto frunk. I am not sure if I am wiling to spend $500 for something that I might or might not use all the time.
So, if you use it more often after the upgrade, what do you use that space for?
Please post pictures for good ideas!:cool:

I never used my frunk until I got an auto-frunk. Now I use it all the time. Mostly for smelly things. (good or bad). I actually use it more than the trunk since its smaller and things have less of a tendency to roll around.

That said, I never put anything up there I'd need in an emergency. If for some reason the frunk fails to open, I dont want to rely on the emergency release to access my charging accessories/jack pucks, etc.

Having a key fob makes it way more convenient too... the trunk has an external switch, so no real benefit, but the key fob makes it so you dont have to open you phone and click around to open the frunk. You can just use it in your pocket by feel without even looking at it.

I park in reverse in my garage, because of the charger location, so the trunk is against a wall.
In this case, the frunk is more easy to access to put stuff when I am going out from my home.

But I have to seat first in my car to open the frunk, or use my phone but my phone
is in my pocket, so I need to take it out, open the Tesla App, so basically not so simple.

So most of the time, I open the rear door first and use the back seat to carry stuff,
I find this to very convenient. But of course, you cannot leave anything on the back seat if you park in the street.
I have some seat covers so I don't worry damaging the booster part of the seat.

However, when I do grocery shopping, in general in the store parking lot I park straight in.
So it is more easy to take out my stuff form a caddy directly to the trunk
instead to have to walk to the front of the car.

I would not spend $500 for an electric frunk.
I think that some accessories, like a dashcam are more important.

Prior to installing the auto frunk never used it as I was certain I would dent the hood. Post auto install I use it all the time for food, grocery, or any small pick up. Keeps contents snug and sealed. Great space now.

The motivator for me was the concern of damaging the hood, second was hand prints/dirty hands. We store the grocery bags and blankets in the frunk. When I need to get gas for my yard equipment that’s where the gas can goes, no worries about smells etc in the passenger area. I do worry about a malfunction, I’ve had it for a year with no issues.