Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you wash your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get my Model X tomorrow. I'm hearing all sorts of opinions on washing the car. Some say to only hand wash a Tesla, others say to make sure that only soft shammies touch it, while others say it's OK to use a brush-less wash. Would you mind sharing which car you have, it's age (apparently Tesla has gotten better at high quality painting over time) and how you wash it? Here in California (with our drought) we are not supposed to wash cars in our driveway. Do any of you have the guts to put it (even with a brush-less system) through an automated washing system? Thanks in advance for sharing your first hand experiences.

First congratulations, tomorrow is going to be a memorable day for sure.

Since receiving MX on 6/27, I've become a bit of a fanatic about washing my car. I basically never washed my last car, and if I did, it was an auto-car wash. But since seeing my perfect MX in person on delivery day, those days were instantly over. My car was perfect and I decided to do everything in my power keep it that way.

So long story short, I've full embraced Larry from AMMO NYCs approach. I highly recommend spending ample time on his youtube channel: AMMO NYC. It's like getting a graduate degree in car detailing. Even if you use none of his products, you'll come away with a fundamental understanding of how to protect paint. The way he thinks about detailing reminds me of how Elon thinks about cars.

Like many owners, I eventually decided on XPEL about the 2nd week in. I wrapped the full front + mirrors in XPEL, and opti-coated the rest. I'm glad I did. Opticoat is permanent wax and at least provides some protection everywhere. There are already a couple tiny imperfections in the XPEL due to rocks / bugs / who knows, and it's comforting knowing the paint underneath is still perfect.

Lastly, I've also used the Optimum No-Rinse and highly recommend. Especially if you are facing water restrictions. The result is great and its fast. Though, I still think using a rinse to remove contaminants (as Larry calls them) is safer for the paint. In NJ we don't have water restrictions on driveway washing, so I plan to use a mix of both approaches going forward (Optimum No-Rinse when I don't have an hour to wash my car or when its freezing, and a full wash otherwise).

Hope that helps,

Tim

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine with the two bucket method. Except I just use about 5 microfiber towels and change to a new one as they get dirty. Dry with two waffle weave microfiber towels.

Similar approach although I've been known to use an oblique, repeat oblique, rinse from a car wash in between foaming the car and ONRing thereafter with multiple microfiber towels. One panel at a time to rinse and dry. Linear motions - never circular.

The exterior gets done every 2 weeks or so. The interior and black plastic gets attention during alternate weeks as needed.

The only times blatant swirls have been introduced has been when Service has washed the car despite being explicitly told not to, in writing, 3 different ways (work order, post it note, written on mirror hanging tag). Caught the guy wiping down the car from the bottom up with a dirty cloth as I just happened to be returning at the right time. Not a happy camper was I. That time cost some bucks to get the swirls out as well as a day of my time back and forth to the Opti-Coat certified detailer.

I got tired of dragging two buckets around every time I moved. I refused to spend $100 for a two bucket dolly, so I made my own. Cost was about $18.00

Attachments

• Bucket Dolly 1.JPG
    Bucket Dolly 1.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 388
  • Bucket Dolly 2.JPG
    Bucket Dolly 2.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 290
This is philospohy and i have a different approach. 2013 S 85. I take it through car washes and yes there are numerous small scratches that proably come from that as well as daily "wear and tear". Best car i ever owned. How long will i keep it? Unknown. It has depreciated and will continue to do so. Because of firmware upgrades it is better than when I bought it. When i sell it i will probably get less than if i were fanatic about caring for it but the years and miles on it will probably be the most important factors. For me, it's not worth the extra effort.

Chapter 2. We took delivery on our 90X 6 weeks ago. Road trips with the "bells and whistles" are a dream. As a compromise .,for now, I'm taking it through "touchless car washes" but it too will undoubtedly get scratched. Life is short--dont forget that the currency we're spending is time-not money.

Chapter 3. Model 3 on order. Which one to sell?

This is philospohy and i have a different approach. 2013 S 85. I take it through car washes and yes there are numerous small scratches that proably come from that as well as daily "wear and tear". Best car i ever owned. How long will i keep it? Unknown. It has depreciated and will continue to do so. Because of firmware upgrades it is better than when I bought it. When i sell it i will probably get less than if i were fanatic about caring for it but the years and miles on it will probably be the most important factors. For me, it's not worth the extra effort.

Chapter 2. We took delivery on our 90X 6 weeks ago. Road trips with the "bells and whistles" are a dream. As a compromise .,for now, I'm taking it through "touchless car washes" but it too will undoubtedly get scratched. Life is short--dont forget that the currency we're spending is time-not money.

Chapter 3. Model 3 on order. Which one to sell?
I garden quite a bit. It's very time consuming, and I am constantly fighting with a lot of natural enemies. I am fortunate to have a bountiful harvest each year, but when I actually look at the time invested, it's some of the costliest produce available, by a vast multiple.

My point? Sometimes there's joy in the work.

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine with the two bucket method. Except I just use about 5 microfiber towels and change to a new one as they get dirty. Dry with two waffle weave microfiber towels.
That is what I do, but only with a single bucket, since no towel goes back in the solution once it comes out.

This is a decent video showing the method for people who are unfamiliar with it: