Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does a roadster drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's like a grown up k1 cart, lots of fun and nothing like the S or X except it's motivated by electrons K1 Speed | K1 Speed Indoor Go Kart Racing - Locations Nationwide

I'm a newbie to the roadster and it probably does take a specific mindset to be sitting down so low in a tight fitting cockpit but it's just so fun that the sometimes rattle-in-drivers-door-window is no big deal

Your idea of a test drive is a good one, you won't know till you test it out.

Reactions: PtG62901
If you're expecting luxury, it's not the car for you. It's old school, requires a key (a key!!), rattles, creaks, cramped, some people have a hard time getting in/out, has no storage space, has a tiny display screen, and is the most fun I've ever had driving a car. It has soul. Lots of it.

You'll have to decide what's important to you.

Agreement with all the above...

I've owned an Acura Integra GS-R, and a Datsun 240Z before that. The Roadster is more fun than either. Definitely handles more like the Datsun, with its rear wheel drive and no power steering. It's much quicker than either but feels heavier to me than the Integra, even though it only weighs a little more.

It's the essence of a sports car, a small one. You don't get into it, you put it on, and it becomes an extension to your body, moving almost as if by force of thought.

If you've owned a sports car before, let us know which ones. We might be able to give you a comparison.

"How does a roadster drive"?

Very quickly.

Seriously, what @bonnie said. It's a blast to drive,but it is lacking many features that modern cars have, and not necessarily luxury cars. For example, the passenger seat doesn't move and the driver's seat only moves forward and back. No other seat adjustments.

Plus, you need a certain degree of flexibility to get in and out of it.

I look for excuses to drive it because it is so much fun. :D

Reactions: dhrivnak
If you're expecting luxury, it's not the car for you. It's old school, requires a key (a key!!), rattles, creaks, cramped, some people have a hard time getting in/out, has no storage space, has a tiny display screen, and is the most fun I've ever had driving a car. It has soul. Lots of it.

You'll have to decide what's important to you.
Agree with all but creaks, rattles and cramped. The 2.5 seats are amazingly comfortable

Reactions: hcsharp
Bentley Gt, lambo gallardo, Benz cls55, 911 s cab, to mention a few :)

I converted to the Roadster after driving 9 different Porsches, including every iteration of the 911 Turbo since the 993. I've also owned a few Lamborghinis (LP640, Murcielago, Gallardo & Superleggerra) and Ferraris (360, F355 & 612). Also put a lot of miles on an F430 and a 458 Italia.

Yet, the Roadster is the one that sits in my garage. In fact, I like it so much, I've got 4 of them sitting in there.

I converted to the Roadster after driving 9 different Porsches, including every iteration of the 911 Turbo since the 993. I've also owned a few Lamborghinis (LP640, Murcielago, Gallardo & Superleggerra) and Ferraris (360, F355 & 612). Also put a lot of miles on an F430 and a 458 Italia.

Yet, the Roadster is the one that sits in my garage. In fact, I like it so much, I've got 4 of them sitting in there.
We're going to need pics of your garage!!

Agreed, @spiderguy...I've been waiting to see photos of your garage since I figured out your secret. :cool:

I already know of two that you have...but the other two...remain a mystery.

BUT: to aid the purpose of this thread, I daily drove a 2.5 for almost a year...drove probably 1500 miles a month while I had it...enjoyed every second of it more than I've probably ever enjoyed anything. That may sound sad, but hey...I guess I'm just THAT in love with these cars.

I had a 1975 Porsche 914. A tiny, two door mid-engine roadster with a frunk. It was light and because of the mid-engine, it handled amazingly well.

The handling of the Roadster reminded me of the 914, which is a really good thing.

The difference was that the 914 was absurdly anemic in terms of power, and the Roadster is really quick. (When I bought it, it seemed amazing; after driving an Insane P85D, well, it's still not that bad.)

My only complaint about the Roadster is that mine's been pretty flaky lately, but it's clear that not all of them are and I've just been unlucky.

It's fun. Really fun. If you like sports cars, you'll like the Roadster.

Looking for impartial opinions
I'm not clear on what you mean by that. On TMC you are gong to hear from Roadster owners. In the vast majority of cases, they own a Roadster because they love the car. Are they "impartial"? I would say no. Someone who is truly impartial would be someone who reviews and tests cars professionally and doesn't own a Roadster or even a Tesla.

You say you have an S and an X. You need to test drive a Roadster to really understand just how fundamentally different it is from the cars Tesla currently produces. I would really like to hear back from you after you drive a Roadster.

Note to @bolosky : I have also spent time driving a 914, mostly on the track. Lots of fun, but no power.

I owned a Honda S2000 and have experienced Elises and VX220s. The Roadster is quicker and more fun but somewhere in the middle for comfort. I took out my gf's dad who had a 911 turbo (964) and scared him witless without trying. He said his Porsche would have had no chance to keep up.

I've driven a P85D and a P90D. The 85 felt similar in straight line speed to the Roadster. The 90 blew me away.

@ecarfan i agree! In NJ, it's easier said than done. I love both the S and X, but realize that the roadster is a much different animal. From the posts so far, while very pro tesla, I do believe that I've received pretty honest objective responses. If you asked me about my X, I would tell you that it's the best car I've ever owned, but the fact that the rear doors don't close 50% of the time and I'm still waiting over a month for tesla to get new parts sucks. So, it's possible to love tesla and be honest and objective at the same time ;). I just want to make sure I don't spend a bunch of money for a car that sits in my garage for years.

I test drove one when they first came out, so original seats. I didn't buy one. It drives fantastic, so fast, so great in corners. My buddy and I touched the outside and our shoulders in the middle, that is tight, and we both weigh 180. Don't know about the later ones, but the seats were hard, without support. You had to go over the edge to sit, no door. It is exciting, exposed to the elements, minimalist, and wasn't for me. My life was about more then a 2 seater in those days.

It showed me Tesla could build a world class car, and that was exciting. I reserved a Model S as soon as I could, but that is a different story.

Reactions: DeedWest
A word of warning, on paper, the S & X are almost a second quicker 0-60, but neither can compare to the experience of driving a Roadster.
Neither feel as quick. Neither as visceral. A Roaster is constant feedback, the conditions around you will demand your full attention. To live in the moment, some people seek out meditation, surfing, or sex. Screw all that, just clock a few twists in a Roadster, yeah, that'll bring you into the "Now".

Oh, my older brother's first car was a 914, I thought it was the coolest thing... hmm... maybe there's a weird 914 common connection for Roadster Owners?

I've driven my fair share of fast cars but none have matched the Roadster's combination of throttle response, torque and incredible handling. The traction control is simply out of this world. Most fun I've ever had driving a car.

And I can't overstate how awesomely quiet it is. Some people probably don't like the total absence of exhaust noise, but I could floor it in a residential neighborhood and unless someone were actually looking at me, they'd have no idea. If I'd pulled the same stunt in the other sports cars I was considering (eg Alfa 4C, F430, Exige 400), I'd have alerted every cop within a half mile radius.

But for the love of God please don't compare it to your other Teslas. Aside from the logo and their all running off batteries, there's precious little that they have in common. For example, my wife loves her X, but can't stand driving the Roadster.

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff
My advice: do NOT test drive a Roadster.

I did, and I wouldn't give the keys back...

For 23 years I have been lucky enough to own, and for 20 of those also to race, Morgan sports cars. They are fast, stylish and handle well. For all that, they share all the characteristics of sports cars: built for handling, not comfort (thought they are not uncomfortable, just not luxurious).

The Roadster is like a Morgan without the noisy engine. While slower in a straight line than my Model S P90DL, I think on a road with lots of interesting former the Roadster would win as it corners so marvellously. I love it and it's my daily driver whereas the Model S is for long distance touring.

As I said, there is a high risk in trying one....