TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does an Electric Car work ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by obrien28, Jun 2, 2017.

1. obrien28

obrien28 Midnight Engineer

Really nice video describing how an electric car (using a MS as an example) works from a high level engineering standpoint. Really good primer for the new players here, I see lots of technical questions and sadly tons misinformation about how pressing the "go" pedal makes the "wheee" happen.

From a neat channel called Learn Engineering, they have some other good content as well.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  2. tpham07

tpham07 Member

"go pedal" haha i still call it the gas. whoops lol

• Funny x 1
  3. ABVA

ABVA Member

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

4. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Ha! Additionally amusing because engineers tend to be sticklers for things being "correct," and the correct name for this pedal is "accelerator."

• Like x 3
  5. Haxster

Haxster Member

Like "taping" a conversation, "taping" a TV show or "taping" an event. Or, as the newscaster says: "Lets play the tape".

Maybe Trump uses a 20th century tape recorder in the Oval Office (as he's alluded to). Who knows?

Has anyone, especially professionals, actually used physical magnetic tape for recording in the last decade?

But we still call it taping.

6. croman

croman Active Member

It's called English. Languages are adaptable and we understand things in context.

• Like x 1
  7. Haxster

Haxster Member

Continuing on in this highly relevant Tesla topic...
    "Accelerator" is a nice generic term for what the pedal does. Except, in an EV with regenerative braking, it's also a decelerator. Oops.
    And maybe a brake pedal should be called a decelerator?

I agree with your tape argument. However, when my grandson asks me why recording something is called taping and playing a recording is called playing a tape, I'll need to give him a little history lesson about this now archaic technology (one which helped me earn my way thru college).

• Funny x 1
  8. croman

croman Active Member

No doubt it's confusing in abstract and as generations twist words to new uses it may be confusing. Words like random are bent to new uses (instead of meaning erratic or unpredictable it's used as a substitute for unexpected or strange). I've heard a lot about random dudes showing up and less about random weather.

Maybe we're just getting old.

• Like x 1
  9. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

"Decelleration" is just negative acceleration. Of course, that also makes the brake pedal an accelerator...

10. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Before taping, we used spools of wire to 'record'. So questions you may get are (taping?), (wiring?), and by the way (recording? - we rarely use records any more) - how about (discing?) which never referred to CD's.

11. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Mind blown o_O

• Funny x 2
  12. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's probably why Tesla avoided blended brakes. In a Tesla, the brake pedal only serves to activate the friction brakes.

Those poor folks in other EVs, though, they do have two accelerators that both act on the drive motor(s). How will they ever keep them straight? :p

13. henderrj

henderrj Member

#13 henderrj, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Okay, I have to admit that I purposefully call it a gas pedal all the time. I can't wait until the day I get to explain to my grandchildren why it's called a gas pedal.

By the way, do you know what it means to Dunn someone? Some of these anachronisms live a very very long time!

• Like x 4
  14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Great video. One of the most technically correct and comprehensive I've seen. Really well done.

15. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

I prefer "fun pedal". Then it doesn't matter about accel or decel. (IMHO)

• Like x 1