Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does an Electric Car work ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

obrien28

Midnight Engineer
Jan 17, 2014
NW CT
Really nice video describing how an electric car (using a MS as an example) works from a high level engineering standpoint. Really good primer for the new players here, I see lots of technical questions and sadly tons misinformation about how pressing the "go" pedal makes the "wheee" happen.

From a neat channel called Learn Engineering, they have some other good content as well.

Really nice video describing how an electric car (using a MS as an example) works from a high level engineering standpoint. Really good primer for the new players here, I see lots of technical questions and sadly tons misinformation about how pressing the "go" pedal makes the "wheee" happen.

From a neat channel called Learn Engineering, they have some other good content as well.
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Ha! Additionally amusing because engineers tend to be sticklers for things being "correct," and the correct name for this pedal is "accelerator."
Like "taping" a conversation, "taping" a TV show or "taping" an event. Or, as the newscaster says: "Lets play the tape".

Maybe Trump uses a 20th century tape recorder in the Oval Office (as he's alluded to). Who knows?

Has anyone, especially professionals, actually used physical magnetic tape for recording in the last decade?

But we still call it taping.

Like "taping" a conversation, "taping" a TV show or "taping" an event. Or, as the newscaster says: "Lets play the tape".

Maybe Trump uses a 20th century tape recorder in the Oval Office (as he's alluded to). Who knows?

Has anyone, especially professionals, actually used physical magnetic tape for recording in the last decade?

But we still call it taping.

It's called English. Languages are adaptable and we understand things in context.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
It's called English. Languages are adaptable and we understand things in context.
Continuing on in this highly relevant Tesla topic...
"Accelerator" is a nice generic term for what the pedal does. Except, in an EV with regenerative braking, it's also a decelerator. Oops.
And maybe a brake pedal should be called a decelerator?

I agree with your tape argument. However, when my grandson asks me why recording something is called taping and playing a recording is called playing a tape, I'll need to give him a little history lesson about this now archaic technology (one which helped me earn my way thru college).

• Funny
Reactions: croman
"Accelerator" is a nice generic term for what the pedal does. Except, in an EV with regenerative braking, it's also a decelerator. Oops.

I agree with your tape argument. However, when my grandson asks me why recording something is called taping and playing a recording is called playing a tape, I'll need to give him a little history lesson about this now archaic technology (one which helped me earn my way thru college).

No doubt it's confusing in abstract and as generations twist words to new uses it may be confusing. Words like random are bent to new uses (instead of meaning erratic or unpredictable it's used as a substitute for unexpected or strange). I've heard a lot about random dudes showing up and less about random weather.

Maybe we're just getting old.

Reactions: Haxster

"Decelleration" is just negative acceleration. Of course, that also makes the brake pedal an accelerator...

"Decelleration" is just negative acceleration. Of course, that also makes the brake pedal an accelerator...

That's probably why Tesla avoided blended brakes. In a Tesla, the brake pedal only serves to activate the friction brakes.

Those poor folks in other EVs, though, they do have two accelerators that both act on the drive motor(s). How will they ever keep them straight? :p

"go pedal" haha i still call it the gas. whoops lol

Okay, I have to admit that I purposefully call it a gas pedal all the time. I can't wait until the day I get to explain to my grandchildren why it's called a gas pedal.

By the way, do you know what it means to Dunn someone? Some of these anachronisms live a very very long time!

Last edited: