Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does auto steer work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just activated the trial auto pilot, enabled the betas auto steer function. Whole driving I saw the icon of cruise control and steering wheel.

But while driving it just drift to one side. I don't see it auto steer, even while in cruise control mode. Is there something I need to press while driving to to enable/disable?

I do see the lane show up on the dash.

Please read the manual; it can be accessed using the touchscreen (in Controls, Settings), and is also available through your "My Tesla" account. This is a 4600 lb. automobile. You don't just let go of the wheel and hope it takes over. Others may post how you activate Auto Steer but I do hope you take the time to read about the system -- it's features and limitations -- instead of just activating it and watching what happens.

Please read the manual; it can be accessed using the touchscreen (in Controls, Settings), and is also available through your "My Tesla" account. This is a 4600 lb. automobile. You don't just let go of the wheel and hope it takes over. Others may post how you activate Auto Steer but I do hope you take the time to read about the system -- it's features and limitations -- instead of just activating it and watching what happens.

Thanks. What page on the manual? I wasn't thinking of it being full auto pilot only as assisted steer to keep u in lane. Didn't see that happen.

Thanks. What page on the manual? I wasn't thinking of it being full auto pilot only as assisted steer to keep u in lane. Didn't see that happen.

Please download the latest owner's manual from MyTesla and look for AutoSteer in the ToC. In my copy it's on page 74.

As others said, definitely take the time to read over the 5 or so pages related to this topic. In addition to being aware of the limitations of the system, definitely be wary of:
  • Who is in control. Blue is the magic autopilot color. Similar to TACC, blue steering wheel = AP engaged, gray steering wheel = AP available but disabled. You will hear chimes telling you when AP is activated, and the opposite chime when control is disengaged. So far, one of the two known AP-related accidents had to do with confusion regarding who is in control.
  • What the car thinks is going on: You're probably already familiar with how the instrument cluster draws realtime diagrams of what the car is seeing. AP augments this further by drawing in blue what it is obeying. A blue lane line on either side means that AP recognizes the lanes and is using them as the primary Autosteer reference. In this case you should monitor whether or not you agree with how it feels your car is centered between the lanes. A blue car ahead means that AP does not trust the lane boundaries and is exactly following what the car in front of you is doing. In this case, you should carefully monitor what the car in front of you is doing, and be ready to take over if he does something you don't want to do, such as move to a different lane that isn't safe for you, drive off the shoulder, take an exit on the highway, etc.

Autopilot relieves you of the mundane duties of driving and turns you into a supervisor / driving instructor of your own car. You can either choose to use this ability to make your driving safer (by taking advantage of being able to look around you more and gain more big-picture awareness of potential problems around you), or mitigate risky behavior (e.g. if you *really* have to mess with your phone / touchscreen, fidget with a child in the back seat, etc, it's safer to do so with AP engaged than to let go of the wheel altogether in a traditional car)....

Just be aware that it isn't a self-driving car, and I've seen reports of at least 2 accidents when Autopilot was engaged or allegedly engaged. You are still responsible for everything that happens regardless of AP :)

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and newtman
Please download the latest owner's manual from MyTesla and look for AutoSteer in the ToC. In my copy it's on page 74.

As others said, definitely take the time to read over the 5 or so pages related to this topic. In addition to being aware of the limitations of the system, definitely be wary of:
  • Who is in control. Blue is the magic autopilot color. Similar to TACC, blue steering wheel = AP engaged, gray steering wheel = AP available but disabled. You will hear chimes telling you when AP is activated, and the opposite chime when control is disengaged. So far, one of the two known AP-related accidents had to do with confusion regarding who is in control.
  • What the car thinks is going on: You're probably already familiar with how the instrument cluster draws realtime diagrams of what the car is seeing. AP augments this further by drawing in blue what it is obeying. A blue lane line on either side means that AP recognizes the lanes and is using them as the primary Autosteer reference. In this case you should monitor whether or not you agree with how it feels your car is centered between the lanes. A blue car ahead means that AP does not trust the lane boundaries and is exactly following what the car in front of you is doing. In this case, you should carefully monitor what the car in front of you is doing, and be ready to take over if he does something you don't want to do, such as move to a different lane that isn't safe for you, drive off the shoulder, take an exit on the highway, etc.

Autopilot relieves you of the mundane duties of driving and turns you into a supervisor / driving instructor of your own car. You can either choose to use this ability to make your driving safer (by taking advantage of being able to look around you more and gain more big-picture awareness of potential problems around you), or mitigate risky behavior (e.g. if you *really* have to mess with your phone / touchscreen, fidget with a child in the back seat, etc, it's safer to do so with AP engaged than to let go of the wheel altogether in a traditional car)....

Just be aware that it isn't a self-driving car, and I've seen reports of at least 2 accidents when Autopilot was engaged or allegedly engaged. You are still responsible for everything that happens regardless of AP :)
Thanks for the info. Was able to try it out driving from Orange County to magic mt in Cali . It alert to disable when it started to sprinkle but overall was good