Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does every clean their model 3? Is Automatic car wash a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hand wash is best, if you wanna be lazy (i've done it) then do a touchless car wash. I wouldn't do a car wash where they smack your car with dirty/damaged pieces of plastic tho.

I use Optimum No Rinse and love it. No/light pressure with a microfiber hand-mitten as a first pass, clean out the mitten and then do another pass with some more pressure.

Electric pressure washer with a deionizer and chemical guys honeydew snow foam soap via a foam lance. Then just leave in garage to air dry after rinsing. Works great!

EC3D1C74-1BAF-42CC-B66B-C877EE18AAAB.jpeg

Hand wash is best, if you wanna be lazy (i've done it) then do a touchless car wash. I wouldn't do a car wash where they smack your car with dirty/damaged pieces of plastic tho.

I use Optimum No Rinse and love it. No/light pressure with a microfiber hand-mitten as a first pass, clean out the mitten and then do another pass with some more pressure.

Yep, I swear by Optimum: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U/

I find that mittens trap particles too easily and are hard to clean. This is the way I do it that doesn't require buckets or extra water: Work one panel at a time, spray down using a pump sprayer (https://www.amazon.com/Solo-418-Ergonomic-Gardening-Fertilizing/dp/B000BX4VXI/), wipe with clean microfiber towels (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloth-24-Pack/dp/B009FUF6DM/) and dry immediately.

• Helpful
Reactions: ImEric and YisSerL
Yep, I swear by Optimum: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U/

I find that mittens trap particles too easily and are hard to clean. This is the way I do it that doesn't require buckets or extra water: Work one panel at a time, spray down using a pump sprayer (https://www.amazon.com/Solo-418-Ergonomic-Gardening-Fertilizing/dp/B000BX4VXI/), wipe with clean microfiber towels (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloth-24-Pack/dp/B009FUF6DM/) and dry immediately.
I never understood this product, and still don't (I have never used it).

When I wash my car it is because it has dirt on it, and usually it's the kind that not even a pressure washer will remove on it's own. I don't wash clean cars like I see in youtube videos.

Seems best to remove as much dirt as possible with a pressure washer (hose if thats what you have), then foam cannon the car. Anything remaining after the pressure washer will need to be manually removed by scrubbing.

Now the part I don't understand.... How is it beneficial to dry the car with contaminant still on it, vs pressure washing the dirt you broke free, away from the car first?

Touchless car wash at a gas station, then dry down with microfiber towels. (I’m lazy/live in an apartment/etc.) but it works and looks great.

Just a warning though, twice, my chargeport door has failed and needed replacement, both times a day or two after getting a car wash. It may be a coincidence, but I think it could be due to high pressure water messing with the part. I go to a less powerful car wash now and am more careful when pressure washing in that area. I haven’t had a problem since *knock on wood*

• Informative
Reactions: Ilikestuff
I never understood this product, and still don't (I have never used it).

When I wash my car it is because it has dirt on it, and usually it's the kind that not even a pressure washer will remove on it's own. I don't wash clean cars like I see in youtube videos.

Seems best to remove as much dirt as possible with a pressure washer (hose if thats what you have), then foam cannon the car. Anything remaining after the pressure washer will need to be manually removed by scrubbing.

Now the part I don't understand.... How is it beneficial to dry the car with contaminant still on it, vs pressure washing the dirt you broke free, away from the car first?

I use ONR and do rinseless washes, but not before running the car through a touchless car wash, which gets the majority of the large abrasive particles off the car, which here in snow country is basically sandbox sand. ONR is really good at lifting contaminants off the surface, so a light microfiber pass picks up pretty much everything. It really does work well.

Now, on occasion I get little tar splats around the side skirts that are really caked on. that requires some more powerful solvents to remove; I prefer dabbing mineral spirits to soften, and then claybar to remove.

Saving water is only one aspect. here in the winter, we can't have hoses outside due to freeze, so the only option to wash your car at home is in the garage and a rinseless or 2-bucket method. I can get my car just as clean with these techniques as any summer wash techniques, with no scratches to the clear coat.

You're in Chicago. Wait until spring...

Just kidding. You've got to get the salt off on a regular basis. I lived many years up north (Wisconsin, North Dakota, Chicago) and my advice would be to find a touchless wash to get a good wash with an undercarriage flush. Be sure to do it on a sunny warmish day, and when you're done, roll the windows up and down to get water out of them. Dry out the door jambs, charge door, and door handles as best you can, and hope for the best. In Nashville, I've had more problems with frozen windows and doors on my cars than I ever did up north, probably because it's much more humid here. We'll get a hard rain, followed by freezing temps. So far I've not had problems with my 3 like others have described.

Good luck!

ONR. Sometimes I pre-rinse the big stuff at coin car wash. Just want underbody and wheel wells done more than anything. Usually just water vs using the soap. Allows me to see the big stuff vs spraying on whatever soap they use. Drive home then ONR with a glossifier post.

Live on a dirt road. Have hard enough water that would kill a home touchless system very quickly. So foam guns and hoses are out of the question for us.

Having PPF and Ceramic coating really makes the process quick and painless.

Wife says we have more microfibers than the collective pieces of clothing for a family of four. I use a new microfiber on each pass. Pile of ONR microfibers in the bucket wet, and a bucket of clean microfibers for wipe after. Third bucket is for dirties that need to be washed. 15-20 min tops per car. Keep a side of ONR in a spray bottle to wet any areas that seem a little dirty.

ONR concept is that it brings the dirt particle up off the surface so you can wipe away dirt without hurting the surface below. I have used it with a really dirty car with no issues and no pre rinse. Just understand it is not a car wash with rubbing or pressure. It is a wipe. If you wipe and still see dirt. Don't scrub. Spray more ONR or go over again with a new wet microfiber.

ONR. Sometimes I pre-rinse the big stuff at coin car wash. Just want underbody and wheel wells done more than anything. Usually just water vs using the soap. Allows me to see the big stuff vs spraying on whatever soap they use. Drive home then ONR with a glossifier post.

Live on a dirt road. Have hard enough water that would kill a home touchless system very quickly. So foam guns and hoses are out of the question for us.

Having PPF and Ceramic coating really makes the process quick and painless.

Wife says we have more microfibers than the collective pieces of clothing for a family of four. I use a new microfiber on each pass. Pile of ONR microfibers in the bucket wet, and a bucket of clean microfibers for wipe after. Third bucket is for dirties that need to be washed. 15-20 min tops per car. Keep a side of ONR in a spray bottle to wet any areas that seem a little dirty.

ONR concept is that it brings the dirt particle up off the surface so you can wipe away dirt without hurting the surface below. I have used it with a really dirty car with no issues and no pre rinse. Just understand it is not a car wash with rubbing or pressure. It is a wipe. If you wipe and still see dirt. Don't scrub. Spray more ONR or go over again with a new wet microfiber.
wiping dirt across paint is always bad but also unavoidable with any wash system. The idea it's too minimize it which is why onr never makes sense to me. Maybe I should get a bottle to play with.

I have very hard water as well but it's not an issue with a good neutral soap.

I use ONR and do rinseless washes, but not before running the car through a touchless car wash, which gets the majority of the large abrasive particles off the car, which here in snow country is basically sandbox sand. ONR is really good at lifting contaminants off the surface, so a light microfiber pass picks up pretty much everything. It really does work well.

Now, on occasion I get little tar splats around the side skirts that are really caked on. that requires some more powerful solvents to remove; I prefer dabbing mineral spirits to soften, and then claybar to remove.

Saving water is only one aspect. here in the winter, we can't have hoses outside due to freeze, so the only option to wash your car at home is in the garage and a rinseless or 2-bucket method. I can get my car just as clean with these techniques as any summer wash techniques, with no scratches to the clear coat.

I didn't think about winter water freezing stuff though. I guess onr would make more sense for that situation.

Last edited:
You're in Chicago. Wait until spring...

Just kidding. You've got to get the salt off on a regular basis. I lived many years up north (Wisconsin, North Dakota, Chicago) and my advice would be to find a touchless wash to get a good wash with an undercarriage flush. Be sure to do it on a sunny warmish day, and when you're done, roll the windows up and down to get water out of them. Dry out the door jambs, charge door, and door handles as best you can, and hope for the best. In Nashville, I've had more problems with frozen windows and doors on my cars than I ever did up north, probably because it's much more humid here. We'll get a hard rain, followed by freezing temps. So far I've not had problems with my 3 like others have described.

Good luck!

I’ve been nervous to do a wash with the undercarriage flush for a couple reasons 1) the battery being right there and 2) the composite material cover in the rear tearing in areas where a lot of water got to the area.

You guys have done high pressure undercarriage washes without issue?