Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does every clean their model 3? Is Automatic car wash a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been nervous to do a wash with the undercarriage flush for a couple reasons 1) the battery being right there and 2) the composite material cover in the rear tearing in areas where a lot of water got to the area.

You guys have done high pressure undercarriage washes without issue?
Yep, touchless wash with undercarriage, no problems. Really have to do that in denver to get rid of the mag chloride.

Here’s the hood of our mini van after an automatic car wash.

IMG_0420.jpg

I use an automatic car wash near my house that I've had success with in the past. I will not use a random car wash.
I also do not take my Model 3 to a car wash where other humans are doing the work...I don't trust them with my cars ever since one put the very first wound on my then-new Nissan Leaf.
My car wash beats the car with those rubbery spinning scrubber things. I've had zero issues with damage to the car, but my car is also wrapped with XPEL Ultimate which may be helping to preserve Tesla's paint from the beatings at the car wash.
I only wash my 3 after it gets nasty from a road trip or too much rain, and when the forecast is without rain for the coming 3-5 days.
In six months, I've washed her no more than five times, using the above rules of engagement in terms of when I go give her a bath.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I go to a local Jett Super wash. It is basically a pressure washer with different settings (soap/wax/rinse). I spray the car down top/bottom/underneath, rinse it, and use a detail spray as I dry it off with microfibers. Good as new.

Hand wash, mainly to save money. But I'd have no problem taking it to a local car wash (rotating brushes) down the road. People are taking their Teslas and exotic cars there all the time, so if it's good enough for someone's Audi R8, its good enough for me.

You're in Chicago. Wait until spring...

Just kidding. You've got to get the salt off on a regular basis. I lived many years up north (Wisconsin, North Dakota, Chicago) and my advice would be to find a touchless wash to get a good wash with an undercarriage flush. Be sure to do it on a sunny warmish day, and when you're done, roll the windows up and down to get water out of them. Dry out the door jambs, charge door, and door handles as best you can, and hope for the best. In Nashville, I've had more problems with frozen windows and doors on my cars than I ever did up north, probably because it's much more humid here. We'll get a hard rain, followed by freezing temps. So far I've not had problems with my 3 like others have described.

Good luck!

Yep there is so much salt on the car, my hand gets white touching it. what do you mean by touch-less? I have been thinking to go to a automatic soft wash at a BP gas station.

I live in a high-rise and don't have the luxury to wash it myself

wiping dirt across paint is always bad but also unavoidable with any wash system. The idea it's too minimize it which is why onr never makes sense to me. Maybe I should get a bottle to play with.

Thats why with ONR i typically do 2 passes with a microfiber mitt. My first pass is super light and has no pressure, just the weight of the mitt pressing against the paint. This removes 90% of dirt and loose debris. Then i do a second pass with more pressure to fully remove everything and you're good to go.

This helps to reduce any swirling because your first pass lifts the dirt and DOESNT press it into the paint. You then thoroughly wash the mitt to get the dirt out and go again.

I dont listen to people who claim you don't even need a rinse bucket because i think you definitely do to get the dirt out of your mitt!

Here is my cold time of year method. I wash mine in my closed garage and pretty much don't get my hands wet doing it by wearing nitrile gloves.

I mix 4 oz of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine with 4 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket that has a grit guard installed. I also have a mixed spray bottle of Instant Detailer and mixed spray bottle of No Rinse Wash & Shine.

I dip the microfiber wash mop in the bucket then start with the roof going back and forth covering all windows of the car then put the mop back in the bucket. I rub the mop back and forth slowly over the grit grate to clean it.
I go over everything I just washed with a microfiber towel. Then I use another towel to make sure it is dry.

When not doing windows I spray Instant Detailer after washing with the mop but before wiping down with the towels.
I wash my aero wheels with the mop as well but do not use the Instant Detailer spray because I don't want that on my rotors. I use already wet micro fiber towels to finish up the wheels.

When cleaning the door sills etc I just spray on some No Rinse Wash and use an already soaked towel to clean it. Same for the inside trunk area.

If my car is obscenely dirty I will get a clean bucket mid way into the job. People say this is unnecessary but I'm paranoid.

Remember not to use excessive pressure when cleaning. You may have to go over an area a second time or just finish it with your first toweling of the area you cleaned.

What I use is below, I did not buy everything from Amazon but it is a convenient way to list what one uses.
I also have a foam canon, pressure washer and other products for summer use.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-ID2008Q-Instant-Detailer-Enhancer-x/dp/B00GG9FJKU

Grit Guard Insert for 12 inch Diameter Bucket
https://www.amazon.com/Grit-Guard-Insert-Red-Diameter/dp/B000N3W8J0

Microfiber Wash Mop with 48# extension pole
https://www.amazon.com/AutoSpa-93303-Chenille-Microfiber-Extension/dp/B01EA6DCBI

Premium Microfiber Towels
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8MZ7IA

haha thanks, I have never seen an automatic car wash that doesn't use the spinning stuff. I gotta look for one in Chicago

Look for something like in a BP Amoco or Shell station. I'm from Chicagoland as well and that's where I've seen and used them. Although, I honestly prefer to do the manual pressure wash and wipe it down in the stall

I take mine through a drive through carwash, I have a monthly pass. I go through when I'm on my way home and it is still open (1-2 times a week) . I live in the country and have driven 9,200 miles in 3 months of owning the car. I bought this machine to be driven not babied. But I like it to be somewhat clean and I don't want it to cake on bugs until I have time to hand wash it. About 2,000 miles ago I took it into the SC to have a creak fixed and they guy commented that it was one of the cleanest cars he has seen in there "how do you wash it?". I take it to the carwash and when I get home I wipe down anything dirty with a microfiber towel. I vacuum the interior about once every two weeks with a shop vac and wipe down interior surfaces with scent free, alcohol free, baby wipes. Car still looks new inside and out. There are a couple rock chips on the front but I don't see any paint swirls on my white paint and when I go over the car with a microfiber, I take a flashlight over it. If I thought I would keep it 10 years and only put 40-50k miles on it, I would probably coat it and hand wash, but that is a different user