Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does existing S X Y have increased range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla claims the Model Y, Model S, and Model X can now go longer between charges, further strengthening its foothold in EV range

Article doesn't explain how range has increased for Model Y and existing S/X? Is this coming in a software update? Why is Model 3 unaffected? I wonder if it benefits non-Long Range S.
Seems the article makes it very clear, as is usually the case.

"Tesla attributed the range increase to engineering improvements."

So there you have it.

:)

And with regards to non - LR models, they will have less range than LR.

I get really tired of 'media' putting out stories with not only little or no interesting story, but then explain in with meaningless obviously true statements.

Last edited:
The article contains nothing that suggests « existing » cars were improved. They don’t even mention software upgrade.

As I understand it, newly produced cars are slightly better, and they did not update yet EPA ratings. That’s all.

True, Tesla is always improving manufacturing but the existing design is pretty much frozen. They may simplify assembly here and there or remove some coat hooks, but the major changes are usually done by software or big hardware changes.

The Raven S went from 370 to 373, but how does it now go to 380 or 390? Is it different testing methods? The Model 3 received a 5% power increase through a software update and the Raven S received a 3% bump a few months ago. It would be reasonable to surmise that range can also be increased by software, but at the expense of power...is that how they're achieving it until Plaid comes out? If the new range is meant for the new design then how did Model Y'range suddenly jump from 280 to 315 when the design is already done and EPA certified, with deliveries starting next month?

I would sacrifice a little power for increased range for my 2019 M3 and 2020 MS....agree the basic design of the cars are frozen but battery is the key....I really think the battery in the new Raven with its new chemistry has the potential to give us still a little more range to the tune of 10-15 miles.....as for as upcoming new MS’s, I would have liked to have gotten the M3 battery in my car, but that requires a frame update which we will probable see in the next year os so......but I am thrilled with my new MS

I would sacrifice a little power for increased range for my 2019 M3 and 2020 MS....agree the basic design of the cars are frozen but battery is the key....I really think the battery in the new Raven with its new chemistry has the potential to give us still a little more range to the tune of 10-15 miles.....as for as upcoming new MS’s, I would have liked to have gotten the M3 battery in my car, but that requires a frame update which we will probable see in the next year os so......but I am thrilled with my new MS
Can you post proof that the raven battery has a different chemistry?
Because tesla has not said anything about that, in fact when the raven update came out tesla listed all the design changes and battery was not one of them.

Can you post proof that the raven battery has a different chemistry?
Because tesla has not said anything about that, in fact when the raven update came out tesla listed all the design changes and battery was not one of them.

The Raven has the same 18650 cells as the previous S and X.

However, I think the "increased range" rumored coming this year will be Tesla updating the S and X battery packs to the same 21700 cells the 3 and Y have. I bet we'll see a P120D model.

The Raven has the same 18650 cells as the previous S and X.

However, I think the "increased range" rumored coming this year will be Tesla updating the S and X battery packs to the same 21700 cells the 3 and Y have. I bet we'll see a P120D model.
I know they do.
We’re talking about the increase in range tesla announced for the current long range models. Which I’m sure is nothing other than a different method of testing rather than an actual real world increase.

Also I believe Elon has said on multiple occasions that the model s/x will not be getting the 2170 battery cells. But we all know he says a lot of things that aren’t exactly true.

The S/X is not slated for 2170 cells and Elon said there isn't much point in doing so with chemistry now the same.
As slight improvements are made to the batteries the vehicles can be 101KW with same cells count/pack. Then 101.5KW and so on. That's the route he seems to be going and just doing updates for those packs in software. They got rid of the KW #'s a while ago.

The other method is with slight changes to the vehicle. Battery in my Raven is a few # lighter than my old P100d. Rear brake setup is lighter. These small changes aren't worth talking about but eventually add up to slight improvements. Elon basically said it's not worth redoing EPA certification for a few miles of range but the cars have been getting better.

The S/X is not slated for 2170 cells and Elon said there isn't much point in doing so with chemistry now the same.
As slight improvements are made to the batteries the vehicles can be 101KW with same cells count/pack. Then 101.5KW and so on. That's the route he seems to be going and just doing updates for those packs in software. They got rid of the KW #'s a while ago.

The kWh rating can be checked with the API and with CAN readers. And I've never heard of anything like that. The 100kWh pack did not change so far.

The other method is with slight changes to the vehicle. Battery in my Raven is a few # lighter than my old P100d. Rear brake setup is lighter. These small changes aren't worth talking about but eventually add up to slight improvements. Elon basically said it's not worth redoing EPA certification for a few miles of range but the cars have been getting better.
How were you able to check the battery weight of each car?

Tesla has to build more than 80 cells in an 18650 cylinder per kWh with current chemistry. They need fewer than 60 cells in the 2170 format per kWh. There are 2 advantages to moving to 2170 just from that math: lower labor costs per kWh and reduced construction time per kWh. Faster packs for less money helps tesla continue to decrease costs.

There are other advantages like weight reduction and the ability to start building S/X cells in the United States (18650 cells aren't, 2170 are) but the main advantages to a switch are reduced costs they could either turn into higher margins or lower prices, possibly both.