Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does FSD beta come in? What actually happens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
when I broke my piggy bank and subscribed for the $199 clams, there were new menu items on my phone and car, and i think i had to reboot the screen to get FSD to activate. Fine, got it.
I'm in the beta queue. I have heard there's a freeze and no new invitations for now - regardless, if/when i get beta, how do i receive it?
is it another firmware update?
Is it a notice on the screen or app or email or something else?
and then how does it "activate" - new menu items?
I presently believe that since i have the latest firmware (as of this morning) i may be a few firmware versions newer than those with the beta software.
Would the system downgrade me?
would it make me stop getting updates until the newer firmware with FSD beta matches or exceeds what's on my car?
thanks - really curious about this!

First, you have to ask to be in the beta program (Controls -> Autopilot). Then you need at least 100 miles of travel where you get a Safety score that is shown in the phone app. Currently, those who have asked to be in the program and have a safety score of 94 or so and above get into the beta -when they allow more into the beta. It's unknown when more will be let into the program or if the safety score limits will change. Once you get into the beta, Tesla will let you know.

...if/when i get beta, how do i receive it?...
Only Tesla knows. It decides when to start and stop accepting people waiting in the que.
is it another firmware update?
Yes. The procedure is just like another firmware: When it's time for you, you'll get the normal notification of new firmware to install as if it's just another one in the past.
Is it a notice on the screen or app or email or something else?
Just like in the past: in car and on app. However, It does send you an additional e-mail that you are now officially getting FSD beta.
and then how does it "activate" - new menu items?
You have to go to Autopilot menu to activate it because it requires your consent.
Would the system downgrade me?
FSD beta focuses on city streets and not other stuff like changing your car icon color, new games, or sounds... so if you have FSD beta, expect some lag time to get features that other public FSD people have.
would it make me stop getting updates until the newer firmware with FSD beta matches or exceeds what's on my car?
No. FSD beta and FSD are 2 different branches. There features are different and FSD beta might have to wait in order to catch up with FSD (non-beata) features.

Last edited:
On software versions - everyone is not updated at the same time. So some people will have older versions than others. No one outside of Tesla knows how updates are distributed. Often it can be 6-8 weeks between updates, so you might have an older or newer update than someone else for some period of time. Under Controls -> Software, there is an option to maybe get updates sooner. Also, updates are equipment specific. If an update is needed for the 2017-2018 Model 3, other models and years will not get that update. Anyway, don't fret about updates. It's not under your control!

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
First, you have to ask to be in the beta program (Controls -> Autopilot). Then you need at least 100 miles of travel where you get a Safety score that is shown in the phone app.
That part of your text is incorrect. Once opted into the beta, the safety score appears after just a couple miles. What you might be confusing is that a driver needs a minimum of 100 cumulative miles on AP during the most recent 30 days along with a good safety score to be accepted into the beta. And then it will be a while before getting on during the next release and acceptance of additional drivers.

So I’m now on, what I believe is the latest release (2022.26.8). If / when I get the beta (safety score is at 96) will it downgrade the software I’m using to facilitate the beta or will I need to wait for a beta based on Something newer than I’m running (and is choosing advanced Vs standard for normal releases going to thus be a hinderance in getting FAB Beta?

The most current FSD Beta is FSD Beta 10.69.1.1 (2022.20.11) released 9/2/2022, so yes it is not at the current "normal" release series of 2022.24.x.x, and would be a downgrade from some features offered at the latest versions.

That part of your text is incorrect. Once opted into the beta, the safety score appears after just a couple miles. What you might be confusing is that a driver needs a minimum of 100 cumulative miles on AP during the most recent 30 days along with a good safety score to be accepted into the beta. And then it will be a while before getting on during the next release and acceptance of additional drivers.
Thanks! Sorry I wasn't clear at all.