TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does high temp impact charging eletric cars? (If at all)

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by bornnacadillac, Aug 28, 2016.

1. bornnacadillac

I live in the South (North Carolina) and during the summer my two car garage can reach as high as 92 degrees. Out of curiosity, is there a concern charging an electric car within that temperature range?

2. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

No.

Charging at home you will not have a problem with high ambient temperature. At a supercharger, you can experience slower charging in higher temps; but even then not as slow as charging at home with a UMC or wall connector.

3. ahm

ahm Member

I'm in Tucson where my garage gets above 110 F in the summer. No charging problems at all. Sometimes the car will run the compressor to regulate the battery pack, but I get the same charge rate in my garage no matter what the temp is. At SC In the summer I have not noticed a decline in charge rate on a hot day with a hot car.