Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does it work when you have no Service Centers nearby?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in PA in the Poconos, and the closest Tesla Service Centers are in NJ, about 90-100 minutes away (Springfield or Princeton).

I'm looking at getting a (new) 3/Y within the year, and wondering about service.

I understand many issues can be fixed by Tesla's mobile service, but will they come out this far?

If I do need to take it in to the SC, would they give me a loaner?

And if I can dream a little: any idea about plans for a future SC, maybe in Allentown or Stroudsburg PA?

Thanks!

I live 3.5 hours from the nearest service center. Mobile techs have been out to my house twice and I've taken mine in to the SC twice in the 3 years I've owned my car. Both times at the SC they gave me a loaner since I was so far away. The service manager said that's why they are stingy with loaners - they want to make sure that remote people can get one.

I've had terrible experiences--the mobile guy only comes to my area once a month and for weeks, would not even clue me in on when that might be, still have never seen him. We're 3.5 hours in any direction from a service center and they will not promise a loaner. When my computer went out, they expected me to DRIVE with no controls 200 miles then remain in Chico, CA for a few days at my expense and a few Uber credits. Luckily it resolved itself (we think it choked on an update) . I got a flat last night that they wanted to tow the car 200 miles away? How does this help me? HOw do I get it back? They do not sell tires, so what if it needed tires?

I've had terrible experiences--the mobile guy only comes to my area once a month and for weeks, would not even clue me in on when that might be, still have never seen him. We're 3.5 hours in any direction from a service center and they will not promise a loaner. When my computer went out, they expected me to DRIVE with no controls 200 miles then remain in Chico, CA for a few days at my expense and a few Uber credits. Luckily it resolved itself (we think it choked on an update) . I got a flat last night that they wanted to tow the car 200 miles away? How does this help me? HOw do I get it back? They do not sell tires, so what if it needed tires?
You could try Any tire shop in America. Last I checked Tesla doesn’t make Tesla specific tires.

"so what if I needed tires?" Is this a serious comment?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Is there a charge for using a loaner?

No, there isnt, but Tesla can be particularly stingy with its loaner vehicles so Its not something I would "expect" for service if you have to take it in. Mobile service tends to be all around, but not everything can be done by mobile service (although many things can).

You will likely read that in general EVs require less maintenance / upkeep, and thats likely true statistically, but just like anything else that "operates" there are sometimes issues that need to be dealt with either by mobile service or taking it in.

You have to be aware that IF you need something done, it either might be a bit for mobile to get to you, or you might have to jump through a few hoops to take it in. Eyes wide open, as it were.

I have no complaints but much of this depends on expectations. The Poconos can be rural but is not especially isolated. Our nearest service center here in Montana is 550 miles. Here a 1.5-hour commute, for a lot of folks, is like going to the grocery store.

In 58k miles I have added windshield washer fluid and replaced the tires. No SC visits. I have had the Ranger come to the house twice, no charge to install the Homelink garage door opener and another visit to replace the plastic pan under the front motor. I did have to schedule these visits a few weeks in advance and wait until the Range from Idaho made his rounds, but so what? Easier than taking our 4Runner to the local Toyota dealer for service. Did I mention they came to my house, and no charge?

Could this become inconvenient if other issues occurred? Of course. Do I care? No. No I do not. The constant convience of this car makes any future worries all cool. But then I accepted all the possible realities before buying. I also carry a spare tire and have extra tires at home.

I live in PA in the Poconos, and the closest Tesla Service Centers are in NJ, about 90-100 minutes away (Springfield or Princeton).
I'm looking at getting a (new) 3/Y within the year, and wondering about service.
Good question.
Would you buy ANY other vehicle if the nearest service center was 90-100 minutes away?
And service appointments required 3-4 week lead times?

If it was my 3rd or 4th car, maybe.
Otherwise - hell no!

I understand many issues can be fixed by Tesla's mobile service, but will they come out this far?
Impossible to predict.
Maybe they will, mostly likely they wont.
Expect the answer will change over time.
Some issues are fixable by the "ranger". Many are not.

If I do need to take it in to the SC, would they give me a loaner?
Mostly likely not.
There are not enough loaners to go around, and Tesla has stopped investing into the loaner fleet long time ago.
The last time I got a loaner was ~2 years ago, and that was when they had to keep my car overnight.
I would NOT expect, or count on getting a loaner.

All you get are the worthless Uber credits.
Worthless because Uber takes 30+ minutes to arrive to my nearest Tesla SC location, and hardly ever shows up to my house.

And if I can dream a little: any idea about plans for a future SC, maybe in Allentown or Stroudsburg PA?
Sure, call Tesla customer service office and see what they say.
(inside joke - Elon had fired everyone in customer service years ago).