Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Model X drive compared to Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just posted a brief comment in the Texas forum....in a nutshell, its like the S. Truly amazing for an SUV.

I have a P85DL and now the P90DL X. For such a big car/SUV, the car handles just like the S. Throw it around corners and the car just sticks and goes. It really shows how well the low center of gravity helps cornering....even compared to the Cayenne Turbo which is a fast car, the cornering of the X totally outclasses it!

I love driving my wife's MX P90D. However I had the opportunity to drive a new MS P90DL for 5 days while some minor repairs were being made on the MX. IMHO the S is a more exciting care to drive. My MX with ludicrous is supposed to be delivered by the end of the month. I'm curious to see how it compares to the S.

Reactions: newtman
Before I purchased my 90DL X I had never driven a Model S before. My X has been at the SC for 2 weeks fixing several issues and I was given a 90D S loaner that I've been driving.

Overall I can't really tell a difference between the handling, however, after driving the S around for a couple weeks, I feel the X has a better "drive". The main reason is due to the panoramic front windshield. While driving the S I feel cramped which to some may feel more sporty, but comparing that to the driving experience in the X which I feel is more open and free, I would choose an X over the S any day.

I've had an S for three years, and now have an X. It is difficult to compare both as my S was a non-D, non-P, and the X is a P90D, but I can say that handling between the two is remarkably similar. Other than the extra acceleration and the improved noise, I could not tell with my eyes closed if I am riding in one or the other just based on performance or handling.
Personally, I like the X better, after driving it for a while the S feels too tight around me (I am 6'4), and the seating position is more comfortable. But other than that I would say both are identical.

Today I drove an X for the first time. It was the demo car at the Costa Mesa CA showroom/delivery center. I have owned an S for 2 1/2 years. The X is very impressive. Drives basically like an S. My S has 19" wheels and the demo X had 22" wheels, and my S is RWD and the demo X was a P90D, so they aren't strictly comparable. The X is a joy to drive, which is particularly amazing for such a large, heavy car. Loved the huge windshield! The sun was out and during much of the drive it was shining directly on my head. I was wearing polarized sunglasses, as I always do when driving during the day, and the sun didn't bother me at all. Did not feel any heat on my head. It was not a hot day, temp was about 70.

Today I drove an X for the first time. It was the demo car at the Costa Mesa CA showroom/delivery center. I have owned an S for 2 1/2 years. The X is very impressive. Drives basically like an S. My S has 19" wheels and the demo X had 22" wheels, and my S is RWD and the demo X was a P90D, so they aren't strictly comparable. The X is a joy to drive, which is particularly amazing for such a large, heavy car. Loved the huge windshield! The sun was out and during much of the drive it was shining directly on my head. I was wearing polarized sunglasses, as I always do when driving during the day, and the sun didn't bother me at all. Did not feel any heat on my head. It was not a hot day, temp was about 70.

Did you ask about the sunshade?

I agree that the X drives similarly to the S, and surely better than competing CUVs (though I've never driven a Panamera so I can't say, personally). But it drives and handles like a heavier vehicle. When I'm driving it, there's a sense of its weight that my S hides. Part of that might just be the upright seating and the higher position. I love driving the X - but I'm glad it's my wife's car. I prefer driving my P85 for run-of-the-mill around town trips. Being able to use regular-people doors is a bonus.

With 41,000 miles on Model S and 500 on Model X they are definitely siblings sharing same mother but different personalities. My wife prefers the Model S, I prefer Model X. Her favorite ICE vehicles were BMW sedans, she likes the lower profile sedans with great acceleration and handling. My favorite was Lincoln Navigator, liked higher seating position and ability to seat 6 or 7 in vehicle. And the Model X acceleration and handling is every bit as good as Model S but feel the weight of vehicle which I like, amazing how that heavier and larger vehicle grips the road. Can't go wrong with either, even better with both.

I'll add that there is a noticeable difference in how heavy the X feels between driving wth 22" wheels vs. 20" wheels: the 20s make the car seem a bit more sprightly (I'm talking about straight-line throttle response in normal driving, not performance driving). Anybody else noticed this?