Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Model X drive compared to Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove an X this weekend in Denver while visiting a friend. I also sat in the rear seat. The driving was just as others mentioned. The thing that stood out while riding in the back was how the rear seats, the ones behind the front seats, creaked and rattled. I thought something was coming apart at times. There was also the same sort of noises coming from the rear suspension. That part was not impressive. It did have 22's, so next time I will drive the 20's and see if that makes a difference, but the rear seat thing needs to be addressed as it was just poorly done.

I have 22's on my MX. Had 19's on the S. I am 6' 200 lbs and found the model S a little tight. I also had a second generation so did not have the upgraded seats. I find that my MX is extremely comfortable....I could drive it all day. My S was not a "D". I notice that my 90D MX is still quick off the line and feels extremely smooth albeit a tad heavier than the S. I also have the air suspension with the MX and while I got the large wheels I find the car remarkably smooth and comfortable even at high speeds. The only time I feel the tire size is if I hit a speed bump a little too fast.......Otherwise the car rides great. I do feel that the MX with the extra motor has slightly stronger regen than my S causing the MX to slow a sightly greater rate than the S. I find this advantageous but I guess it is personal preference. I do have to say though that I averaged 340 wh in the S but am averaging about 400-420 wh in the MX.

I wouldn't choose between MS and MX based on handling. Having got used to the fantastic helicopter feeling of MX' gigantic windshield, I would have trouble settling for anything less. I could go with a smaller car, though, and look forward to M3.

When my 6 seat X arrives in February it will come with the centre counsel as standard. Husband and wife in the front, Granny and Grandad in row 2 and teenagers in row 3. Worked perfectly in our R Class Merc and I expect great things from it in the X.
No need for a sunshade as we will be basking in the smug glow of the self righteous up front.

What center console?

One of my biggest annoyances with the S is that it's just not easy to get in and out of. I assume the X, being taller, would be better in this regard.

Much better!

Yup. Much better indeed.

I just posted in another thread that I got to drive a P90DL S with 21's for the day and found the ride much smoother. The X (with the 22's) definitely has a slightly more jarring ride. Not uncomfortable by any means, just stiffer.

I've driven P90DL Model Ss and my P90D Model X.

I can't get in and out of the S without banging my head (going in) and needing an engine puller to get out. My 6'4" frame slides easily in and out of the Model X. I prefer it's ride and handling: the P90DL S was squirrely when I applied full accelerator, the X nose rises up a bit but it is very stable. I find Model S to be claustrophobic - Model X feels open and the view through the panoramic windshield is truly awesome.

Short answer - I put my money where I get the best ride and handling: Model X.

Reactions: FarmerDave