Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does on board trip planner handle destination charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is covered, I searched Google, YouTube, and on the Forums and was unable to find an answer.

What I'm specifically curious about is how the trip planner handles destination chargers, or if it handles them at all. E.g. does it rely on, or assume you will be able to charge at your destination? What if I enter a destination that is 200 miles from a supercharger, will it let me go assuming I can charge at the destination, or will it say anything about going beyond the range of being able to get back to a supercharger? I realize you can technically charge anywhere with a plug, but I'm not clear how the trip planner handles it. I believe it only knows about Tesla destination chargers, but are they taken into account when trip planning?

Thanks for any insights!

Reactions: loganintx
I believe that the trip planning function relies on Superchargers only. The charge rates for your model at Superchargers are well-established, assuming you do not share a charging spot with another vehicle when you arrive. So, your journey from Portland to Los Angeles on interstate 5 will calculate your charging stops and times at all (or most) of the SCs enroute. Destination chargers vary too much with their voltage and amperage to be able to determine a charging rate.

However, if you decide to drive from Portland to Lakeview, for example, I do not think that any "destination" charger along the route will be considered. The planner may route you to Grants Pass and then peter out as it routes you eastward from Ashland to K-Falls to Lakeview. And that is clearly not the shortest or quickest route!

I admit that I have not yet tested this. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! Does the system let you yet specify a starting point other than your current location? E.g. If you're parked at home, any way to see what the trip planner would calculate between two points somewhere 1000 miles away where you're planning a trip? Or, if you put in a destination that is out of range of any superchargers, what does it do? Say no? Give you a warning? Or does it not warn you until you're at the end of the trip and crossing the point of no return to the supercharger network?

It only starts at your current location.

For other starts and stops, use EVTripplanner. There you can factor in any starting point and any destination. It also lets you play with the route.

If your journey were going to be from home to Minot ND, for example, and you wanted to see Glacier National Park, I think the onboard trip planner would fail. I do not believe that you would receive a warning, but I will have to play around with it to confirm.

In all honesty, I do not use it. I think many on this forum will attest that after you get your "electric" legs, you will have a feel for your driving style and tolerance for remaining battery life. Most charging sessions at SC are between 20-40 minutes, anyway, usually closer to 40 minutes than 20.