Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does one restrict ICE cars from parking in Tesla SuperCharger stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an interesting subject to talk about because it brings up an incredibly valuable point, 'Are we able to fix it?'

Everyone has their own opinions and most of them are fairly agreeable.

While researching this topic I came across a wide variety of ways to combat ICE cars from parking in EV designated parking spots. One ways was particularly the best way to combat this often occurrence and that was to pass a law, which ticketed individuals for misusing these spots. The first article offers the idea of summoning drives $124 for each time such an offense is committed. I then did a little more research and found a second article relating to the same exact subject. And now here is where the EV users begin to scream. Even though laws are created, they are not being enforced. And if laws were being enforced, then many businesses that have limited amount of spaces for ICE vehicles will already reject the idea of allowing SuperChargers to be put on their lot's. It will take up space, space of which is already needed in the first place. Secondly businesses do not want customers getting ticketed, especially if the people getting the tickets are customers of that business.

When I was thinking of this, I came up with an idea - I am not an engineer or electrician, but it sounded good in theory. Lets say all SuperChargering spots are taken by ICE cars and one NEEDS to charge in order to proceed to the next destination, rather than running around the area to find who's cars are parked in the spots, you could pull up behind the already parked cars and charge. This essentially means that Tesla SuperChargers would need to have longer cables and the ability for the chargers and its cables to be retracted to avoid lawsuits regarding people tripping. In theory this works, but what about reality?

I have heard people making the argument for businesses putting up signs that say you will be towed, but many businesses will not put this up because ICE cars could contribute more to the businesses than Tesla's drivers. In regards to putting up signs, to be honest - if businesses had the chance without being fined or possibly shut down, many businesses would get rid of handicap signs/parking because to often than not it takes up necessary space.

If you have even better ideas - post them down below!