Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does one turn on the bright lights - permantly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my auto high beam off. The reason is that I was in my neighborhood and for a brief moment I went through an area that was really dark. The high beams automatically turned on and then turned off. There was another car parallel parking and it felt like it was high beaming them. First time this happened. I don't want that to happen again.

Before this, I thought auto high beam meant when I flick the stalk to turn high beams on, it will auto turn off when it senses oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Agree Campfamily. I was hoping there was no way to turn the high beams on permanently.

I have yet to have a real need for them. Every now and then I turn auto-high's on for backroads, but it is usually short lived because they will usually trigger on/off inappropriately until it annoys me or crosses the line keeping them on too long with a driver headed my direction or signal to them that a cop is behind me or what not.

Before this, I thought auto high beam meant when I flick the stalk to turn high beams on, it will auto turn off when it senses oncoming traffic.
That's it what they're for. High beams will only turn on when you have specifically turn them on (by using the left stalk), but with auto-high beams enabled it's really easy to drive around with your highs on without realizing it.

I turned my auto high beam off. The reason is that I was in my neighborhood and for a brief moment I went through an area that was really dark. The high beams automatically turned on and then turned off. There was another car parallel parking and it felt like it was high beaming them. First time this happened. I don't want that to happen again.

Yep same reason why I turned mine off on my previous car. One time it turned on directly high beaming a police car. I haven't done enough testing to see how well it works on the 3 yet though.

I thought the auto high beams were meant to be an improvement to 'basic' high beams. The way I've been using them is to turn on the high beam when needed (ie back road) and it will automatically turn itself off when it detects an oncoming car, then automatically back on again once they've passed. It therefore just avoids you having to do this manually (or forgetting to do it manually!). It is annoying in that it seems to recognize reflection from signs, and random other things on the road as another car, and then turns itself on/off. I never thought of leaving the auto high beams on permanently and allowing the car to decide when I needed them or didn't. I basically use the high beams like I would in any other car, except I don't have to turn them off/back on when there is an oncoming car, or I'm getting close to someone in front of me.

You can leave auto high beams enabled in the menu and simply push the stalk forward to turn them off (but not have to disable them). If you are in a situation when auto high beams would be operating you will see a gray "A" headlight icon on the screen that will turn to a blue "A" when the high beams are on. You will notice the gray "A" go away when you push the stalk forward. I find this more convenient than disabling them via the menu.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is a law but the funeral home had us turn on our high beams and hazards. Since it was misting out, wipers were needed which automatically turn on lights so maybe high beams were used to further distinguish the procession. Because my Model 3 has an aluminum hood, I had to put a sticker in the window instead of a magnetic flag they used for everyone else.

I found this for Illinois which says headlights and hazard lights must be on to be considered part of the procession:

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes