TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does Passenger Airbag Indicator work?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by clx, Jan 14, 2017.

1. clx

clx Member

Does anyone know how does the passenger airbag indicator work on Model S? The user manual says if the airbag is off, it will show "PASS AIRBAG OFF", but does it show up constantly, or just when the car is started? I've never paid to much attention to mine until after a recent service visit, I noticed that the indicator always shows up few seconds when switching to Drive then disappears for the rest of the trip regardless if someone is sitting in the front passenger seat or not. Can anyone check how it works in your car? Thanks!

Image 3.jpg

2. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

The manufacturer is actually a client of mine so I'll chime in here.

There are 2 pieces to the occ sensor - a bladder that senses the pressure being placed on it and the electronic component that processes the inputs. I don't know the weight limit but if someone or something light is sitting there, it will detect and shut off the pass airbag.

It should only show up constantly if you have a bad or something else light there. It comes on at start to show the signal and "light" is working.

Hope this helps. I've seen them manufacture the sensors and it's fascinating.

3. clx

clx Member

Thanks for the answer! One question though - if the "PASS AIRBAG OFF" indicator only shows up on start regardless if someone is sitting on there or not, how do we tell if the airbag is actually on or off?

4. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

It's off the the indicator is still on. You'll see it stay in after startup. Trying putting a laptop bag in the seat and you'll see the light come on. Remove the bag and the light will go off.