Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Passenger Airbag Indicator work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how does the passenger airbag indicator work on Model S? The user manual says if the airbag is off, it will show "PASS AIRBAG OFF", but does it show up constantly, or just when the car is started? I've never paid to much attention to mine until after a recent service visit, I noticed that the indicator always shows up few seconds when switching to Drive then disappears for the rest of the trip regardless if someone is sitting in the front passenger seat or not. Can anyone check how it works in your car? Thanks!

Image 3.jpg

The manufacturer is actually a client of mine so I'll chime in here.

There are 2 pieces to the occ sensor - a bladder that senses the pressure being placed on it and the electronic component that processes the inputs. I don't know the weight limit but if someone or something light is sitting there, it will detect and shut off the pass airbag.

It should only show up constantly if you have a bad or something else light there. It comes on at start to show the signal and "light" is working.

Hope this helps. I've seen them manufacture the sensors and it's fascinating.

It should only show up constantly if you have a bad or something else light there. It comes on at start to show the signal and "light" is working.

Thanks for the answer! One question though - if the "PASS AIRBAG OFF" indicator only shows up on start regardless if someone is sitting on there or not, how do we tell if the airbag is actually on or off?

I am concerned that I have a faulty system... recently replaced passenger air bag under recall notice. Never paid much attention before, but now the "Pass airbag off" comes on for 6-10 seconds when car is started. It then disappears regardless whether there is a passenger in the right hand seat or not... identical behavior

Don't believe this is the way it should work, but a service tech was telling me that it's the way it works.

Does this make any sense???