Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does performance change as battery charge decreases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure, I fully understand how performance changes in an EV as the “ tank “ gets closer to empty.

obviously in ICE the performance at full tank vs 1/4 tank of gas there is no difference.

how does acceleration and responsiveness change with lower battery charge?
Does it affect steering response?
Is acceleration slower at all speeds,ie from stop, passing speeds etc.

If I took a 180-200 trip that was primarily highway driving would passing performance decrease significantly?

TIA

I am not sure, I fully understand how performance changes in an EV as the “ tank “ gets closer to empty.

obviously in ICE the performance at full tank vs 1/4 tank of gas there is no difference.

how does acceleration and responsiveness change with lower battery charge?
Does it affect steering response?
Is acceleration slower at all speeds,ie from stop, passing speeds etc.

If I took a 180-200 trip that was primarily highway driving would passing performance decrease significantly?

TIA
Generally:
At some speed, the power train becomes pack current limited. When this happens, the pack voltage determines what your power level is.
Pack voltage drops as SOC drops, so with a lower SOC you will lose power in certain parts of the speed curve. Acceleration will be reduced more so on passing than starting, but only under hard acceleration. Steering with remain the same (fed from 12V).

if you have used a battery powered drill, it is similar to that.

People say that below 70% SOC, full power runs start to noticeably drop off at higher speeds. I think anything below ~40 mph, the acceleration is about the same, regardless of SOC.

That being said, the car is still really damn fast even at low SOCs. I've destroyed very fast cars at 30% SOC, from a roll, with people in the back.

Thank you.
I’m not so concerned about accel from stop but more the passing performance as SOC declines when driving on the highway

Take a look at my Dragy runs where I tested SOC vs power/torque with the Model 3 Performance. Having less than 50% SOC will start to handicap your passing performance. Note that those test runs were done prior to two free power increases via firmware updates.

For the latest SOC vs power/torque numbers, take a look here from Wugz. Note that the data is from a non-Performance Dual Motor Model 3 trim. It also shows the less battery capacity, less available power to the motors.

So to answer your question, your passing performance will take a hit as SOC declines. But for the majority of the cars out there on the road that are ICE, you'll have instant response available vs. ICE having to downshift gears in order to take into their power band. By that time, they'll be in your rear view mirror by bus lengths. :) Of course, assuming you can daily charge it, even on 120 V outlet.

I think this was before the second 5% bump, so these numbers are likely even quicker now... Plus the guy is pretty big. The last shot he has of the side-by-side shows that in real terms, it's still really damn fast even at low SOCs - where you probably shouldn't be racing people if you wanna get home...

I subtracted the 100 MPH time from the 60 MPH to arrive at a 60 - 100 MPH time... would be helpful if someone who's better at maff could chime in on whether this is a logical way of looking at it:

upload_2020-6-13_12-23-11-png.551103

SOC / 60 - 100 MPH time
100 / 5.25
90 / 5.17
80 / 5.64
70 / 5.65
60 / 5.92
50 / 6.28
40 / 6.52
30 / 6.58
20 / 6.85
10 / 7.82

Here's a chart of other cars - not sure how accurate, but it seems legit:

60-100 Times :: TorqueStats.com

At the end of the day... you're getting all of this performance in the most practical daily driver you can buy. No dealing with *sugar* fuel economy or other fuss just to use that performance for <1% of the car's lifetime.