Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does previous car experience match up with Model 3 experience

What was your previous vehicle and how does your Model 3 compare ( Quality and Build issues )

• Coming from a luxury car ($50K+) Model 3 same or better

• Coming from a Standard car ($49K-) Model 3 Same or Better

• Coming from a luxury car ($50K+) Model 3 worse

• Coming from a Standard car ($49K-) Model 3 worse

• Model 3 First vehicle happy with Quality and Any Build issues

• Model 3 First vehicle Disappointed with Quality and Build issues

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dan203

Jul 10, 2019
Northern Nevada
Better in some ways, worse in others. My BMW is a LOT quieter. The road noise in the Model 3 is a lot worse than I expected. I also miss the HUD.

The electric torque and the hightech feel of the UI is a lot better though.

CMoZ

Aug 23, 2019
BC
Poll is too biased. I came from a sports car that wouldn't even be considered in the same league as this car. They both served different purposes.
Poll isn't about what purpose they server it's about Build quality and or QA issues

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
See the title fill in the poll

Compared in terms of what?
Luxury?
Reliability?
Acceleration?
Braking?
Handling?
Cost of operation?
Cost of maintenance?
Dealership service experience?
Customer support from the OEM?
Looks and styling (interior vs. exterior)?

Poll is too biased. I came from a sports car that wouldn't even be considered in the same league as this car. They both served different purposes.

Bingo!

My model 3 is far worse in storage and hauling capacity than my minivan.
But it is way faster than the other EV it replaced in my garage.
But it doesn't handle as well as the real ///M3.

And all of that means absolutely not much of anything!

a

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
Vastly improved driving experience compared to the daily driver it replaced - a 2016 Camry. Really love the 3 compared to that car.
That's all I'm comparing it to since my other ICE vehicles are not apples to apples when it comes to the Tesla.

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
I came from a Lexus LS460 loaded with every option. It was super luxurious and ultra quiet. But the Tesla is so much more fun to drive that I feel like it’s comparing apples and oranges.

The fit and finish on both of our Model 3’s is flawless and neither car has needed any service. Lexus service was great but expensive and they made a fortune off me by inspecting things and finding nothing wrong. And then there was the $300 oil and filter changes. That got old quickly.

Drizzle

Nov 29, 2018
West Coast
How is the Model 3 considered a "Luxury" car? When it isn't. Okay I get it now, it has a luxury car price.
You're right, the model 3 isn't as nice as a similarly priced bmw or lexus, but thank god we finally have a vehicle that offers performance over luxury in this price range imo.

Reactions: Phlier

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I loved my 1998 Honda C-RV. Most reliable car I've ever owned. But I sold it when the Model 3 arrived. How does one begin to compare the experiences?

Problem with the poll: The dollar values would depend on when you bought the other car. Inflation y'know.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC