Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does SRECtrade production reporting work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
Looked around on the forum to see if anyone has answered this question yet; it seems like quite a few people do business with SRECtrade but I can't find any details on how the mechanics of production reporting actually work.

In Maryland, systems above 10kW are required to report actual system production for SRECs (10kW and below are allowed to use modeled estimates from PVWatts). But I also only have one meter which only reports the net of my consumption minus production. I see SRECtrade says they can connect automatically to SolarEdge monitoring, but I know that might be difficult for me to set up without disconnecting my inverter from the Tesla App.

Does anyone report their actual production to SRECtrade? And by which mechanisms? Would they take a reading straight from the inverter, or a screenshot from the Tesla app? Or should I try and set up SolarEdge monitoring to link those two accounts together?

At about 1:50 in, it talks about production, and they discuss manually entering meter readings monthly. It seems this may be what you do - enter your inverter reading(s) monthly.

If this is the case, I'm really glad I got the SolarEdge inverter with a screen. Should be a couple of clicks to find the total kWh generated each month:

Screenshot_20200828-145523.png

Otherwise my only other way of accessing pre-net production information is through the Tesla App, and I don't know if SRECtrade would accept that as valid production data.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
I go to the SrecTrade website the first of the month and enter the solar production number I get from the Tesla app.

Once Potmac reads the meter, it gets verified and the Srec is credited.

Hi @GaitherBill , do you happen to recall how you answered the question "Do you have a solar production meter?" on the application for SRECTrade?

Filling out my application now, and they describe it as "A solar production meter is a device that tracks only the solar electricity produced from your panels (this is different than your utility "net" meter). It is normally connected near your inverters and looks like this." which I don't technically have...

May have sorted it out myself. This may depend on the exact model of inverter, but I've got an SE11400H-US000SNC2 SolarEdge inverter, and it does indeed say "Revenue Grade ANSI C12.20." Hopefully that's good enough for SRECTrade, application submitted!

May have sorted it out myself. This may depend on the exact model of inverter, but I've got an SE11400H-US000SNC2 SolarEdge inverter, and it does indeed say "Revenue Grade ANSI C12.20." Hopefully that's good enough for SRECTrade, application submitted!

Our EnPhase inverter says the same, revenue grade.

That should be what you need.

We do have a solar production meter, two in fact. One on the Enphase gear, one on the Tesla Energy gateway.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I really appreciate SRECtrade's website. Gives a nice status update on the application. Gives me hope for doing business with them:

View attachment 592143
Since this is their business, one would hope they will do it well. My application, at least, was approved before their estimate - just under 3 weeks (which also is a credit to MD since the state has to process approvals.) Of course, with a smaller system, I haven't quite generated an SREC yet after the first month of production, so we will see if there are any surprises on that end, but so far so good

Do they start counting from the point of your application, or from when your application is approved?
My case is a bit different because they use PVWatts estimates since I am under a 10 kW system. My application was submitted 7/24 and approved 8/12. I believe I got full credit for August (based on the similarity between my PVWatts estimates and theirs) and none for July. So I don't know the exact rule but determined that it wasn't worth the ~$15 I might be entitled to for July to try and get that data added. But, since I got credit from before 8/12, it does seem like submission might be the date you can use.

• Helpful
Interesting, I don't think SRECtrade is an option for NH. Anyone know different?
SRECTrade | SREC Markets

The map does not include NH. As a general statement, SRECs and associated policies are highly state-specific. Many states do not have them, and those that do have different rules, some allowing more flexibility to sell credits on an open, spot market where others set fixed prices, require sales to utilities, and/or require selling a block of credits at once (and I'm sure there are other variables.) As you can see from the map, not a lot of states have SREC markets (and, even with the map, my understanding is both IL and MA have moved away from these market-traded SRECs for new installations to other programs.)

• Helpful
We have RECs in NH, however they're around $20/MW, and there are specific PUC registered companies you can sell through and that can certify readings. Would have been nice to have open competition across state lines.

We have RECs in NH, however they're around $20/MW, and there are specific PUC registered companies you can sell through and that can certify readings. Would have been nice to have open competition across state lines.
If you look at the early history (and the map I linked above shows some remnants of it) there was some of this. However, most states now limit these credits to their own states. (I wish I could sell into the DC market, which was once an option but is no longer.)