Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does SRECtrade production reporting work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! I feel like I've been very fortunate with fast turn-arounds. Just checked my SRECtrade account this morning and I've got a GATS Registry ID and State Certification ID. When I go to enter production, the page states "Your facility is currently being verified with the SREC registry to start accepting meter readings." so I'm not sure what the remaining steps are, but hopefully I can start entering my production soon.

Wow! I feel like I've been very fortunate with fast turn-arounds. Just checked my SRECtrade account this morning and I've got a GATS Registry ID and State Certification ID. When I go to enter production, the page states "Your facility is currently being verified with the SREC registry to start accepting meter readings." so I'm not sure what the remaining steps are, but hopefully I can start entering my production soon.
Nice - seems like that means it should happen soon.

Just got my first SREC credited to my account today after September production was added, so as far as I can tell they should be selling it shortly and then sending the credit to my account.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Did you have a "Verifying Meter" stage @GaitherBill ?

Screenshot from 2020-10-06 09-21-04.png

Do you recall how long it took to verify? I wonder if they're actually waiting until they can send someone out to take a look at our inverter.

Approved as of this morning. It seems like for metered systems they do need a baseline taken the day of approval, so I have lost out on ~$45 worth of SRECs. But it's exciting to be up and running!

And just as an aside, watching SRECTrade's introductory video, I do find it funny they pronounce the acronym. I've been saying it like S. R. E. C. but they say "Esreck."

Reactions: GaitherBill
Approved as of this morning. It seems like for metered systems they do need a baseline taken the day of approval, so I have lost out on ~$45 worth of SRECs. But it's exciting to be up and running!

And just as an aside, watching SRECTrade's introductory video, I do find it funny they pronounce the acronym. I've been saying it like S. R. E. C. but they say "Esreck."
Bummer to lose out on that bit of production, but at least you are hopefully operating now. I'm still waiting on the sale of the first SREC - signed up for the "managed" sales option, and apparently that doesn't mean right away.

I'm guessing the pronunciation comes from the origin of "SREC" being a specific type of "REC" - an "S-REC". But that is not how I would have said it, either.

Also funny question for other Marylanders, has anyone else looked their system up in GATS? Just looked mine up, and it seems like there's a column for Virginia registration that's automatically filled out:

Screenshot from 2020-10-07 09-48-13.png

I'm guessing it's just a relic of the past, but I wonder if at any point VA were to enact a new SREC program, we would automatically qualify.

EDIT: Did some quick research and it seems like we may be eligible to sell our SRECs to Virginia from 2021 to 2024? PJM EIS - Virginia

"From 2021 to 2024, Dominion and Appalachian Power may use RECs from any renewable energy facility located in Virginia or located within the PJM region. In 2025 and thereafter, at least 75% of all RECs used by Dominion must be sourced from RPS Eligible resources located in Virginia."

"Deficiency payments in 2021:

• Renewables - $45/MWh
  • Distributed Generation (<1 MW) - $75/MWh
Increasing by one percent annually after 2021."

Could be a nice fallback if the MD market collapses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GaitherBill
Also funny question for other Marylanders, has anyone else looked their system up in GATS? Just looked mine up, and it seems like there's a column for Virginia registration that's automatically filled out:

View attachment 596116

I'm guessing it's just a relic of the past, but I wonder if at any point VA were to enact a new SREC program, we would automatically qualify.

EDIT: Did some quick research and it seems like we may be eligible to sell our SRECs to Virginia from 2021 to 2024? PJM EIS - Virginia

"From 2021 to 2024, Dominion and Appalachian Power may use RECs from any renewable energy facility located in Virginia or located within the PJM region. In 2025 and thereafter, at least 75% of all RECs used by Dominion must be sourced from RPS Eligible resources located in Virginia."

"Deficiency payments in 2021:

• Renewables - $45/MWh
  • Distributed Generation (<1 MW) - $75/MWh
Increasing by one percent annually after 2021."

Could be a nice fallback if the MD market collapses.
That is interesting. I do not have a VA registration. It is possible that it is because I use estimated production as a smaller system, but I do not know. I will have to look into it should there be an incentive to do so. Even if I don't, if there is more competition for MD SRECs, that could keep prices higher (though soon, the VA limits will exceed the MD limits, unless MD changes its rules.)

I know when I signed up, the only option I had to add as an additional state was PA. I didn't because it cost money and was not clear I am eligible anyway, plus at only $20/SREC, it was not worth pursuing.

That is interesting. I do not have a VA registration. It is possible that it is because I use estimated production as a smaller system, but I do not know. I will have to look into it should there be an incentive to do so. Even if I don't, if there is more competition for MD SRECs, that could keep prices higher (though soon, the VA limits will exceed the MD limits, unless MD changes its rules.)

Have you looked up your system in GATS (I used the ID that starts with NON from SRECTrade)? https://gats.pjm-eis.com/gats2/PublicReports/RenewableGeneratorsRegisteredinGATS

According to SRECTrade, I only have a Maryland registration (I also did not opt for the PA registration), but GATS seems to have automatically generated a VA ID for me as well.

Have you looked up your system in GATS (I used the ID that starts with NON from SRECTrade)? https://gats.pjm-eis.com/gats2/PublicReports/RenewableGeneratorsRegisteredinGATS

According to SRECTrade, I only have a Maryland registration (I also did not opt for the PA registration), but GATS seems to have automatically generated a VA ID for me as well.
Yeah - I looked and the VA column is blank. Was just speculating that it might be that VA has different/stricter rules on reporting that my system doesn't meet since it has estimated production (and I couldn't find any evidence that my meter meets the ANSI standard for reporting.) But I suppose it could also be that SRECTrade is just starting to prepare for the VA market as it is currently not even listed on their website.

As an aside, I really do like that my residence is now officially listed as a power plant (even if the nameplate rating is listed as 0.00819 with the scale they use.)