Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla charge all of these cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by your Vin, you got your car last October? That's when I got mine. At that time, my car left the factory 6 weeks prior to delivery. My car looses 2-4% a day due to vampire drain. They could have charged your car at the factory only to have the charge deplete over several weeks in transit? Curious....
December. And, I was just joking, but you're exactly right. That's what I figured. The car never saw the delivery center. It was dusty outside and inside. So, it probably sat draining since it left the factory. And since I got it in December, and was made in October, it was draining a good 6+ weeks.

Sounds like you had 3rd party delivery (the driver didn't hang around for half an hour walking you through all the car settings and features, right?).

If so, that means he wasn't a Tesla employee. I wouldn't expect him to know how or where to charge the car. It should have been charged before being loaded on the transport at the Tesla delivery center, though for a number of reason could have been missed. Still poor performance on their part, but the drivers job is just to physically get the car to you.
Ha, I was last delivery of the day, Dec 13th. Since he couldn't take it to my house, down a dirt road, we met at the local rest stop 10 miles away. He suggested it, cause he thought it could charge there. Wrong. I had to
IMG_0805 copy.jpg
push it back onto the semi, and we took it 10 miles away to a Supercharger at a mall. Of course by then, it's very dark at night. The lighting is minimal. Thank goodness there were no other major issues, because I wasn't going to see them anyway. I signed a paper, was handed two cardkeys and that was my intro to the car. I told him to put the zero SOC on the due bill, and he drove away. The car never saw a delivery center, as it had bird poop on the outside and plastic fiber all over the dash.

I am also not clear if Lithium Cells come out of the manufacturing process with no effective charge, or if they are "born" partially charged.

I was wondering the same. Apparently they don't have an intrinsic charge after manufacturing, but they have to be charged and discharged for activation and testing.

From one site: https://www.mpoweruk.com/battery_manufacturing.htm

"Once the cell assembly is complete the cell must be put through at least one precisely controlled charge / discharge cycle to activate the working materials, transforming them into their useable form. Instead of the normal constant current - constant voltage charging curve, the charging process begins with a low voltage which builds up gradually. This is called the Formation Process. For most Lithium chemistries this involves creating the SEI (solid electrolyte interface) on the anode. This is a passivating layer which is essential for moderating the charging process under normal use.

During formation, data on the cell performance such as capacity and impedance, are gathered and recorded for quality analysis and traceability. The spread of the performance measurements also gives an indication of whether the process is under control. (Beware of manufacturers who use this process for sorting their cells into different performance groups for sale with alternative specifications).

Although not the prime purpose of formation, the process allows a significant percentage of early life cell failures due to manufacturing defects, the so called "infant mortalities", to occur in the manufacturer's plant rather than at the customers' premises."