Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla choose who gets their car first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello... I've ordered my Model 3 SR+ Solid Black , Black Interior, No FSD on May 08

I'm trying to figure how Tesla schedules the whole delivery/VIN to customers

I've seen customers get a VIN and ordered after me and I'm sitting here with NO VIN, I understand there' customers still waiting from March/April with nothing... How's is this even possible?!?!?

My current EDD is June 19-30, I understand to take that with a grain of salt...

Any insight or understanding of this will ease my mind.... I mean I could have picked a Mach-E or a ID4 over Tesla... But I went with them because of the innovation/simplistic look on the inside which I love

Thank you for your time
Mike

Reactions: Teagerton5
When people ordered appears to have zero bearing on when they are scheduled for delivery. Tesla tries to deliver as many cars each quarter as they can, and in general, US deliveries start right near the beginning of the third month of the quarter, so last week of may /first week of june right now.

The closer one is to the factory, the later that delivery tends to be. CA tends to be delivered near the end of the quarter, and NY tends to be delivered near the beginning of the quarter.

This post is basically "why are people getting vins before me?!? I want my car!!

When people ordered appears to have zero bearing on when they are scheduled for delivery. Tesla tries to deliver as many cars each quarter as they can, and in general, US deliveries start right near the beginning of the third month of the quarter, so last week of may /first week of june right now.

The closer one is to the factory, the later that delivery tends to be. CA tends to be delivered near the end of the quarter, and NY tends to be delivered near the beginning of the quarter.

This post is basically "why are people getting vins before me?!? I want my car!!

This post is not "why are people getting vins before me?!? I want my car!!"

This post is to "try" to understand how Tesla's delivery mindset goes

Instead of trying to be a SmartA** please have a understanding and an idea that I'm not "Crying" on to where my VIN is... And more of the side of how it works

This post is not "why are people getting vins before me?!? I want my car!!"

This post is to "try" to understand how Tesla's delivery mindset goes

Instead of trying to be a SmartA** please have a understanding and an idea that I'm not "Crying" on to where my VIN is... And more of the side of how it works

Then there was no reason to mention both "I see people getting vins before me" and "I could have picked another car" which is not relevant to "how does tesla assign vins". I also edited the thread title to remove extra "? and !" from it, which people usually use to denote frustration.

I mentioned they deliver vehicles in the US in the third month of the quarter. I was under the impression that anyone who was participating in the waiting room threads would have heard that already, but maybe not.

I'm not sure it's "zero bearing" nearly all March orders have Vins and they were among the first to get the VINs but I get your point, Tesla definitely is not a first come first served business.

I'm not sure it's "zero bearing" nearly all March orders have Vins and they were among the first to get the VINs but I get your point, Tesla definitely is not a first come first served business.

IDK how it's determined... Is it CASH purchases first? Is it by what the biggest seller is? Location?

It's just so odd... Prime Example someone ordered the same car to a T as what I have and same date only difference is they have 19" wheels not the standard 18" and they just received their VIN... I'm just confused on the standard that Tesla looks at... Just odd..

IDK how it's determined... Is it CASH purchases first? Is it by what the biggest seller is? Location?

It's just so odd... Prime Example someone ordered the same car to a T as what I have and same date only difference is they have 19" wheels not the standard 18" and they just received their VIN... I'm just confused on the standard that Tesla looks at... Just odd..
Waiting just plain sucks.... I ordered last week of March and I'm still burning petrol

1622646015335.gif

Actual picture of Tesla assigning VIN’s

I havent seen anything other than "how far you are from the factory" / shipping logistics when they start delivering to the US. Tesla doesnt build any cars "to order", they just build in blocks, and assign you a vehicle when they are producing that block (white exterior / black interior, etc).

When someone ordered (in relation to someone ordering right after the end of the quarter, for example, vs someone who ordered 2 weeks ago) doesnt seem to matter so much.

Back in 2018, I went in to test drive one during thanksgiving weekend, after hearing about people waiting for months, just to check it out. I fell in love with the car, placed an order (Nov 26th I think it was) and was picking it up Dec 4th. There were definitely people who were waiting for months. I ordered the performance which probably had more margin, so I always wondered if something internally prioritized me in getting it.

I also was dealing with the tesla stores assistant manager, who happened to be the one who helped me when I went in (who had just come over from a long stint with BMW). Since I had been driving BMWs for like 15 years at that point, he and I bonded a bit over BMW talk vs tesla etc. No idea if he did something to expedite me.

In any case, since I have been here on TMC, the same general questions come up around the end of the quarter, every quarter, with people waiting for their cars. Its a black box, basically (the ordering / allocation process).

Most automakers build each car to spec on the same line. There may be parallel lines for major changes like engines or paint colors but minor things like interior colors and options are often interwoven on a serial line. A truckload is then sent to each dealer containing a mix of customer cars and lot cars.

Tesla doesn't have time for that. They look at the total demand for each configuration and then run them in huge batches and then ship them out in batches. There's a little bit of mixing on each truckload but the mix is based on their production line output not the customer's order date.

So you get your car when you get to the front of the line for your particular configuration at your particular delivery center. They can't predict the exact date because orders are continually flowing in and they might decide to extend or shorten each configuration run on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.