TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How does Tesla deliver its vehicles?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Heynow999, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Heynow999

Heynow999 New Member

I would like to know how Tesla delivers it's vehicles to customers. What I mean is that I know there is some sort of home delivery, but how does the car get there. Is it driven by an employee or delivered on the back of a truck? If by truck, is it a large car carrier or a smaller flat bed truck? Is the same delivery method used in all markets, and specially, how about the Toronto market where I live?

The reason I ask is that I would really like to work for Tesla but I have no experience selling or repairing cars. What I do have experience with is driving tow trucks as well as some experience in high tech. When I was younger I drove a tow truck for several years and recently I was part owner of a company that installed solar systems. Part of my job was to commission and explain the systems to homeowners. Some systems were fairly complicated dual axis tracking systems. I would think that experience would be similar to skills required to deliver Tesla's to customers.

thanks

2. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

Typically on a trailer of some sort. Go on YouTube and look at delivery videos there are plenty

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Here is how mine was delivered. This photo is the back of the semi at my house with the car being backed out.

photo123.jpg

4. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

UPS... Literally.

Although not on a brown truck. UPS Logistics uses local carriers for end delivery. Mine was delivered to my house in an enclosed trailer pulled by a pickup truck...

5. Heynow999

Heynow999 New Member

Thanks for the replies

it looks like the model S in the picture doesn't have a road legal licence plate on it. Does Tesla take care getting plates and registering the vehicle or is that the responsibility of the owner?

can anyone in Toronto comment on how they had theirs delivered?

thanks

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Comes with temporay registration, at least in California. It may be different in Canada.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Toronto SC delivers cars with fully registered Ontario license plates.

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

In New York cars are delivered fully registered, with plates already attached. This varies wildly from one state to another because different states have wildly different rules on car registration. (For instance, in NY when you go in to reregister a car the DMV *hands you new license plates on the spot* -- not in California.)

Tesla delivered my Model S on a small flatbed trailer (but I got "personal delivery", dunno if they're still doing that).