Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla know when superchargers are not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to alert Tesla that superchargers are broke? It would be nice to have some sort of alert to Tesla from the vehicle when at a charger or even each supercharger could have a blue led that was illuminated if malfunctioning. I've been to the San Juan Capistrano charger 2x in the last month and the same charger is still broke. Please educate me if there is a way to do this.

Thank you

Is there a way to alert Tesla that superchargers are broke? It would be nice to have some sort of alert to Tesla from the vehicle when at a charger or even each supercharger could have a blue led that was illuminated if malfunctioning. I've been to the San Juan Capistrano charger 2x in the last month and the same charger is still broke. Please educate me if there is a way to do this.

Thank you

Yes, it would be a very handy feature to report stall errors from the MCU, but up to now the only way is via a usually lengthy wait on the phone.

I've used the "bug report" feature in the car in the past and that worked as well. This was after waiting 10 minutes on the phone and then hanging up. Surprisingly, I got an email (automated) about that bug report whereas often I never get any reply to a bug report submission from the car.

I've used the "bug report" feature in the car in the past and that worked as well. This was after waiting 10 minutes on the phone and then hanging up. Surprisingly, I got an email (automated) about that bug report whereas often I never get any reply to a bug report submission from the car.
Interesting! I’ve never heard of a follow up to a bug report submission from the car. Some have implied that those aren’t actively monitored.

I have read various sources providing
[email protected] as a location to send them too. That, or call the number on the station. Or submit a contact form on their website.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Interesting! I’ve never heard of a follow up to a bug report submission from the car. Some have implied that those aren’t actively monitored.
Right and that surprised me. However, I did not get an automated email until several DAYS later, so I tend to agree that those are not actively monitored. :) And to reiterate that I have issued about 10 other bug reports over the past 3 years and never gotten a reply or contact about them..... which I didn't expect to get one anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: halfricanguy
This unfortunate situation is one where Tesla should do better. On my recent journey to Cincinnati and back to California, all stations were in good order heading east on 15, 40, 44, 64, and 71. Coming home was a different matter. Three stalls (at least) were broken at Beech Grove (south of Indianapolis). I was able to reach the agent using roadside support, yet the touchscreen showed no reduced service. And the internal software at Tesla confirmed my concern!

Similarly, two other locations in Wyoming had grit in the plugs and could not be plugged in snugly thereby activating the dread orange ring around the charge port. I was fortunate that no one else was present.

Both times I called the agent said he would notify "the Supercharger Team." This approach using an interlocutor is insufficient. With over 200,000 Teslas in the US alone now, there should be ways to notify Tesla timely and easily when stalls are not functioning. That information should be able to be sent immediately to our vehicles when we are within range of the Supercharger.

Similarly, we should be able to request alerts for Superchargers along our journey to notify us that at Location Z, stalls 2B, 4A and B are inoperable, or operable, but at substantially reduced power. It is easier to plan our charging when we have advance notice. We can charge longer earlier and avoid the problematic location, or we can take an alternate route (if possible) to another location.

Reactions: drPearl
This unfortunate situation is one where Tesla should do better.
I definitely agree. Even those marked with “Reduced Service” doesn’t tell you in any way how service is reduced.

It isn’t a solution, but if you don’t have the PlugShare app on your phone, I definitely recommend it. People share and post updates on Superchargers and all kinds of other EV charging stations.

My local Supercharger is in “Reduced Service” right now and I was able to use the app to determine if it could be used. Only 2 of the 8 stalls are down, but at the actual station, there’s no way to determine that they are down (i.e. no cones, tape, etc) other than people not parking in the stalls! I almost wanted to buy some cones to block them off so no one wasted their time...
87165114-D0DB-4C5C-869B-CC7B61BC6098.png

Side note: 10+ days and still reduced service, with limited nearby charging options and off of heavily traveled corridors (I-85 and I-77).

Tried to get up to northern Door County from Milwaukee today. Navigation wouldn't allow me to put the Howard, WI supercharger as a destination. So at least I didn't get too far before I had to turn around. The bad part is, roadside assistance was unaware this entire supercharger station wasn't functioning, was only able to tell me it had not been charged at in 2 days. They don't get updated info from the "supercharger team" whoever that is. Since that supercharger is the only way I can charge enough to get there & back, I don't know when I can visit my ailing mom. Beyond frustrating.

1 (877) 798-3752;)
Just last week called them because entire station of 8 Superchargers in Howard, WI were not working. Only found out by attempting to navigate there (car wouldn't) then operator at this number spent 20 minutes looking into it. He told me no one had charged there in 2 days, but nothing else was known. He talked about the "Supercharger team" but couldn't talk to them, find out what the problem was, or projected fix date. Said all I could do was keep trying to navigate there daily til it worked. This particular Supercharger is key to getting into and out of Door County, since there are no Superchargers north of Green Bay in the peninsula, just destination chargers. When you have to go there and back in 1 day, you're SOL if it's not working.

Called the next week, able to navigate there, called to make sure it was working, and operator told me she couldn't tell if anyone had charged there that day. I told her she should check that, since last week the guy could!

If Tesla wants to continue to attract electric car owners, they really need to get the support system better. Why in the world can't the "Supercharger Team" communicate with Roadside assistance? Aren't the Superchargers a critical part of being able to travel long distance?