Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla sense and alert vehicles in their blind spots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my tests in my recent Test drives was to check out how the "Blind Spot Monitoring and Alert" worked.
So I waited until a car got beside me and put my Turn signal on, I got absolutely no audible or visual alert.
After several attempts, I did see the greyed out image of the car on the screen turn red.

So is it that you get used to checking on the screen for an image of a car over there?
And if you put your turn signal on the image will turn red.
And does the Tesla keep you from going there? whether or not you are in auto steer mode?

Reactions: KenYoung1
One of my tests in my recent Test drives was to check out how the "Blind Spot Monitoring and Alert" worked.
So I waited until a car got beside me and put my Turn signal on, I got absolutely no audible or visual alert.
After several attempts, I did see the greyed out image of the car on the screen turn red.

So is it that you get used to checking on the screen for an image of a car over there?
And does the Tesla keep you from going there? whether or not you are in auto steer mode?
never trust a car to detect another vehicle. always look over your shoulder and double check your mirrors. The same way people have been doing it for ages. someone who is speeding will not be detected as quickly. The answer to your question is by the visualization on the screen. If the car is close enough it shows up. if no cars is there then its clear to proceed.

1) Sonars represented by semicircle waves but they are primarily good for slow-speed parking.

2) Cameras.

Correct. the potential obstacle car icon color turns red and the lane line turns red but only when you turn on your turn signal (either manually or automatically by the machine such as in Navigation on Autopilot and it turns on signal without your inputs or decisions).
If you have FSD and you can manually (or the machine does it on its own such as Navigation on Autopilot) turn on your signal stalk, the Auto Lane Feature would prevent the system from changing lane while there are potential obstacles.

If you only have plain Autopilot without Enhanced Autopilot nor FSD, it does not prevent you from causing a collision because manual controls override the automation of red car/lane line icons.

Rohigidy, your advice is excellent, must get back to doing that. Especially since it is probably a part of the Tesla software on one central computer which could be busy doing other things. Where is Blind Spot monitoring (BSM) in the computer's priority interrupt scheme? (hmmpfff, are priority interrupts a thing anymore?) Other auto manufacturer's BSM's are probably stand alone devices, they been around a long time?

My previous car, Hyundai, had blind spot detection with audible sound. However, now that I have a Model Y, I’m disappointed there’s no audible alert. Meanwhile, the animation that appears on the monitor can not be trusted for blind spot detection, because cars will appear/disappear in a moments notice.
As a matter of fact while my wife was driving I did see a lot of flickering off and on of those cars trucks busses etc. passing. BTW are you from Middletown Ohio? Did you work for ARMCO Steel?

If you only have plain Autopilot without Enhanced Autopilot nor FSD, it does not prevent you from causing a collision because manual controls override the automation of red car/lane line icons.
Not exactly, you'll get a few very loud warning beeps once you are trying to steer into the other vehicle, and the car will try to steer you back into the lane (though I think that one is controlled by a setting). Indeed if you ignore all of that you would cause a collision.

Reactions: alexcue
My previous car, Hyundai, had blind spot detection with audible sound. However, now that I have a Model Y, I’m disappointed there’s no audible alert. Meanwhile, the animation that appears on the monitor can not be trusted for blind spot detection, because cars will appear/disappear in a moments notice.
I love the blind spot monitor in my Hyundai too, its the best! Though I'll take a quick look over my shoulder, the indicator and sound is just another quick way to support our decision

Reactions: nate704 and Tha_Ape
Gotta love Tesla forums, they will defend anything the company does. Turning your neck is good exercise, the Tesla central machine has more important things to be working on.... Blind spot monitors aren't meant to be the sole decision maker on whether to move into a lane. They're a tool, along with your eyes, ears, mirrors, etc. Yes properly adjusted mirrors are good enough, but having BS monitors too is better and can save lives. We've all had a car or motorcycle appear out of nowhere and had a close call at some point. That's where the monitors shine, those 1 in 10000 cases.
The "Safest car in the world" should have these industry standard tools or a better alternative.

Gotta love Tesla forums, they will defend anything the company does. Turning your neck is good exercise, the Tesla central machine has more important things to be working on.... Blind spot monitors aren't meant to be the sole decision maker on whether to move into a lane. They're a tool, along with your eyes, ears, mirrors, etc. Yes properly adjusted mirrors are good enough, but having BS monitors too is better and can save lives. We've all had a car or motorcycle appear out of nowhere and had a close call at some point. That's where the monitors shine, those 1 in 10000 cases.
The "Safest car in the world" should have these industry standard tools or a better alternative.
im not defending tesla. im saying i dont trust computers with my life. Blindspot is a blindspot. Im coming from a 2013 vehicle and wont be changing the way I drive because of a feature. Im not driving without my hand on the wheel because the car is on autopilot.

Recently I have started noticing that cars will show up on either side on the central display in gray as they enter the "blind zone". initially it used to be hit and miss. While I still practice the old school way of lane changing, it's interesting that now when the car vanishes from the corner of my field of vision, it shows up exactly at that point on the center screen. Now if I indicate that I plan to move into said lane, I have seen that car changes to a red, as well as the lane markers on that side. I actually haven't changed lanes to know if it will alert or apply corrective action. This is without AP engaged.

Recently I have started noticing that cars will show up on either side on the central display in gray as they enter the "blind zone". initially it used to be hit and miss. While I still practice the old school way of lane changing, it's interesting that now when the car vanishes from the corner of my field of vision, it shows up exactly at that point on the center screen. Now if I indicate that I plan to move into said lane, I have seen that car changes to a red, as well as the lane markers on that side. I actually haven't changed lanes to know if it will alert or apply corrective action. This is without AP engaged.
do you have autosteer turned on? It shows up for me also

do you have autosteer turned on? It shows up for me also
No. None of the driver assist features were on and I rarely use AP/TACC. But it was interesting because I don't recall it working this well and I have only had the 1 updated to 4.18 after getting the car in May. I got used to the non-audible, visual alerts in my Q5 so I'm fine with it being this way; just need to train myself to know where to look. I could have sworn though that I heard an audible blind spot alert in the early days of getting the car 🤷‍♂️

im not defending tesla. im saying i dont trust computers with my life. Blindspot is a blindspot. Im coming from a 2013 vehicle and wont be changing the way I drive because of a feature. Im not driving without my hand on the wheel because the car is on autopilot.
I didn't mean to come off so aggressive, I was kinda just making a joke. But yeah I agree you should never rely on the computer 100%. In this case you're not relying on it, you're getting an extra sensor that may prevent an accident, you still use your mirrors and neck.

I just have a thing with Tesla and a few items. They tend to not want to go with the industry standard parts like sensors and recreate them in house. Which is awesome and the same mentality that has made them a success at both Tesla and SpaceX, however I feel they're too cavalier with it. They should replace parts and features when they're ready not release a kind of working thing and then plan on improving it later. Or not including standard features on every other car because you'll just be using FSD or in a robotaxi, when that happens great, in the meantime add the $50 worth of sensors and lights.

1. Blind spot monitoring
2. Automatic wipers (have improved)
3. Automatic high beams - useless for me on windy/hilly roads they also tend to only think they can blind people in the direct lane against you
4. Cross traffic alerts

I didn't mean to come off so aggressive, I was kinda just making a joke. But yeah I agree you should never rely on the computer 100%. In this case you're not relying on it, you're getting an extra sensor that may prevent an accident, you still use your mirrors and neck.

I just have a thing with Tesla and a few items. They tend to not want to go with the industry standard parts like sensors and recreate them in house. Which is awesome and the same mentality that has made them a success at both Tesla and SpaceX, however I feel they're too cavalier with it. They should replace parts and features when they're ready not release a kind of working thing and then plan on improving it later. Or not including standard features on every other car because you'll just be using FSD or in a robotaxi, when that happens great, in the meantime add the $50 worth of sensors and lights.

1. Blind spot monitoring
2. Automatic wipers (have improved)
3. Automatic high beams - useless for me on windy/hilly roads they also tend to only think they can blind people in the direct lane against you
4. Cross traffic alerts
No cross traffic alert in Tesla?

Reactions: rjpjnk and Daekwan