Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla sense and alert vehicles in their blind spots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it doesn't have it. I have had a few encounters backing out with incoming vehicles and no warning whatsoever. Just have to back out slow and rely on cameras and eyes.
I love the feature in my Hyundai, it gives nice warning of cross traffic even in the dark. I hope Tesla will add these features soon. I feel there should be some basic features built in and drivers should be given the option to turn them ON or OFF

Reactions: rjpjnk and Stach
One more question, is there a feature in Tesla that would not allow us to change lanes when there is a vehicle in blind spot? If this feature is present then its more safer than all other sensors, because in Hyundai you can still make the lane change.

One more question, is there a feature in Tesla that would not allow us to change lanes when there is a vehicle in blind spot? If this feature is present then its more safer than all other sensors, because in Hyundai you can still make the lane change.
There are 2 things but I've never tested them "Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime" and "Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance", they both should either alert or intervene in that case I think. I luckily haven't needed them yet so can't say if they work. I know they're probably not related but the way cars right next to you come and go from visualizations screen it makes you feel like it wouldn't help. I hope they work if I need them, but feel some visual indicators if there's a car there and audible ones if I put my turn signal on would be helpful.

Edit: Different but on same lines that has worked well 2-3 times is the avoidance when people head into your lane. I've had it happen at least 2-3 times and it's worked well each time. I anticipated 2 of them and took over at the same time but one was out of nowhere for me.

Reactions: TesMY
from my understanding if you try to change lanes with a car there, it will jerk back to get you back in the lane. however i wouldnt want it to "not allow" you to change lanes considering if you were ever in a situation where going straight would result in a deadly or dangerous collision, but veering into a car in your blindspot was the safer alternative, I'd want to be able to do that.

This is kind of difficult to test "intentionally" since it's kind of dangerous. There were a few times I got warning with beeping and red flashes on the screen when I was about to change lane to another car. I don't know what would happen if I kept going.

from my understanding if you try to change lanes with a car there, it will jerk back to get you back in the lane. however i wouldnt want it to "not allow" you to change lanes considering if you were ever in a situation where going straight would result in a deadly or dangerous collision, but veering into a car in your blindspot was the safer alternative, I'd want to be able to do that.
Yes I have been in that situation where I had to ignore the blindspot warning and steer, and the driver in the next lane understood and slowed down before I made the lane change, may be a slight steer wheel movement back into the lane would help as a warning in Tesla, but avoiding the lane change completely may be dangerous

It turns out that as some one on this thread said "Tesla does things differently". Here is what I found:
As a vehicle approaches your blind spot the image of the road in front of you on your screen zooms out and you have a better view of traffic all around you and behind, not just in front of you.
This would take some getting used to, but possibly it's better, because looking over at the mirror takes your eye farther away from the road in front of you. If you are thinking of changing lanes you immediately will know it is not safe to go there. This will then allow you to do whatever checking you are used to doing, ie looking in the side mirrors or over your shoulder. And, as I understand it, the lane turns red and the car turns red if you put your TS on, if all this fails and you start to move over anyway, it will scream at you. I am not sure if you need to be in auto pilot (auto steer)for this last sentence to be true. Can anyone verify that last part for me. Thanks

Anytime you try to exit your lane with the turn signal on, an audible tone alerts you a car is next to you. If you turn on a signal with someone beside you the audible turn does not activate. Only activates if you try to leave the lane. I personally wish the audible tone would activate when someone is beside you. That’s how my old Jeep worked. Looking at the touch screen to see the red line and subsequent car is just silly. I’m not going to look at the screen before moving over a lane.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and mrwug
I wish the monitor would do a full screen camera view when you turned the blinker on
those cameras work great when backing up and I think they would show you everything you need to see since they are mounted right in front of the doors
This is a really good idea for the product team. maybe not a full screen view, but can easily have a window show the side camera. give the user an option to enable it

Reactions: Falcon73
Probably not the answer you are looking for --- wide angle side mirrors.

Only $89 ($75 with coupon codes) and a simple 15 minute install fixes the issue in an instant. The OEM side mirrors are very narrow and have huge blind spots so these wide angle mirrors "fix" the issue by reducing the size of the blind spots. I don't trust the animations on screen to accurately show blind spots and I refuse to keep the cameras on during the entire trip.

Anytime you try to exit your lane with the turn signal on, an audible tone alerts you a car is next to you. If you turn on a signal with someone beside you the audible turn does not activate. Only activates if you try to leave the lane. I personally wish the audible tone would activate when someone is beside you. That’s how my old Jeep worked. Looking at the touch screen to see the red line and subsequent car is just silly. I’m not going to look at the screen before moving over a lane.
wait so yall dont look at the driver side or passenger mirrors before switching lanes ? yall dont look behind you lol. You just see the indicator on the mirror then switch lanes

Reactions: AlexHung
wait so yall dont look at the driver side or passenger mirrors before switching lanes ? yall dont look behind you lol. You just see the indicator on the mirror then switch lanes
If the indicator catches someone in blindspot I will just stay in the lane and if it doesn't, I will take a quick look over my shoulder to confirm there is no one in the blind spot.

If the indicator catches someone in blindspot I will just stay in the lane and if it doesn't, I will take a quick look over my shoulder to confirm there is no one in the blind spot.
so, if you are looking at the blind spot monitoring light or listening to the chime, whats the difference in actually doing it the normal way of looking at all the mirrors before switching. Because you still have to confirm that the blind spot monitoring was correct. i don't understand the concept of blind spot monitoring in those vehicles. I think tesla showing me the cars on the road is much easier. When you are entering the highway and have to merge into traffic i hope people arent relying on blind spot monitoring and are actually looking at the speed of the vehicles in the mirrors.