Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla sense and alert vehicles in their blind spots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife almost changed lanes into someone last week in our 2020 Model 3 and it gave her a very loud audible alert- so I think it is there, it just wont alert you until you actually start changing lanes into someone.

I've also seen the cars turn red if I have my signal on and someone is in my blind spot in that lane.

Reactions: Schulz1983
I have basic AP and I feel in this configuration Tesla’s implementation of Blind Spot Monitoring is WEAK at best. So I operate my $53K vehicle the old fashioned way, properly adjusted mirrors and my eyes. When making a left lane change looking back to the right to see what’s on the screen is unnatural. But my car can make fart noises so I have that.

In one minute, learn how to set your side mirrors the right way, to eliminate your blind spots. I learned this after a lifetime of doing it wrong (parents and drivers ed) when I was required to take a class to get my county vehicle driver’s permit. Once you get used to the picture you will be amazed! Shoulder checks are a bit dangerous because you look completely away from the road ahead. You don’t even have peripheral vision. And when changing lanes, your chances of rear-ending someone are increased anyway.

With that said, I love the rear-area safety feature of my wife’s Toyota Highlander. If I put the (parked) car into reverse, and anyone is driving toward my car from either direction, or someone is walking out of sight behind an adjacent car, or … I get a light in the side mirror and an audible alarm. Nothing like that in the Tesla. The Tesla’s backup camera is ineffective and the side cameras are blind when parked between cars.

With that said, I love the rear-area safety feature of my wife’s Toyota Highlander. If I put the (parked) car into reverse, and anyone is driving toward my car from either direction, or someone is walking out of sight behind an adjacent car, or … I get a light in the side mirror and an audible alarm. Nothing like that in the Tesla. The Tesla’s backup camera is ineffective and the side cameras are blind when parked between cars.
Yeah my Hyundai also alerts cross traffic, I wish Tesla includes those features

Reactions: Falcon73 and rjpjnk
I stick on one of those tiny mirror on my side mirror To get a good view of blind spot.

i would signal , look at the screen to see any cars next to me , check my side mirror, then small , mirror and go! everything all at once. took a few weeks to get used to it and trusting the car and mirrors. I haven’t turn my head for the past 20k miles.

you guys realize that these are all first world problems right...

Everybody wants all these automated features and then when Tesla is making changes in that direction (yoke steering wheel, no door handles in CT, No gear shifter in refreshed model S and X), then they start complaining that the joy of driving is taken away.

Bottom line is that the model Y has effective blind spot monitoring. It is Just that you have to get used to Tesla's way of looking at it rather than the traditional ICE car way. Just like everything else Tesla does. When you buy a Tesla, you better get used to looking at things Elon's way.

Last edited:
you guys realize that these are all first world problems right...

Everybody wants all these automated features and then when Tesla is making changes in that direction (yoke steering wheel, no door handles in CT, No gear shifter in refreshed model S and X), then they start complaining that the joy of driving is taken away.

Bottom line is that the model Y has effective blind spot monitoring. It is Just that you have to get used to Tesla's way of looking at it rather than the traditional ICE car way. Just like everything else Tesla does. When you buy a Tesla, you better get used to looking at things Elon's way.
You can’t tell me what to do!!!!! I’m telling mom! 🤣😂🤣

As most ppl said by looking in the mirrors and over your shoulder.
Another thing to add which will make your life much easier is to swap OEM mirrors on Sumaperformance ones, they are great and pretty much eliminating blind spots.

If you are turning your head to look, it likely means your mirrors are set up incorrectly.
Sorry, but I'm totally old-school and neurotic. I trust my direct vision more than mirrors. OCD, for sure! :D

Mirrors are set properly, but I still find myself continuing to turn and look. Thanks for the advice, though.

It turns out that as some one on this thread said "Tesla does things differently". Here is what I found:
As a vehicle approaches your blind spot the image of the road in front of you on your screen zooms out and you have a better view of traffic all around you and behind, not just in front of you.
This would take some getting used to, but possibly it's better, because looking over at the mirror takes your eye farther away from the road in front of you. If you are thinking of changing lanes you immediately will know it is not safe to go there. This will then allow you to do whatever checking you are used to doing, ie looking in the side mirrors or over your shoulder. And, as I understand it, the lane turns red and the car turns red if you put your TS on, if all this fails and you start to move over anyway, it will scream at you. I am not sure if you need to be in auto pilot (auto steer)for this last sentence to be true. Can anyone verify that last part for me. Thanks
If this were true, it would be great. Maybe it does that at higher speeds, but I can say for sure that my 2021 does not do that in city traffic. I WISH it did. I'd be fine with the screen staying zoomed out, but can't figure out how to do that.

Actually the blind spot warning isn't too bad, it just needs some practice over time. I'm still looking over shoulder in my new MY, but I also hear warning chimes when turn signal is ON and when I try to steer

How does Tesla sense and alert vehicles in their blind spots?
One of my tests in my recent Test drives was to check out how the "Blind Spot Monitoring and Alert" worked.
So I waited until a car got beside me and put my Turn signal on, I got absolutely no audible or visual alert.
After several attempts, I did see the greyed out image of the car on the screen turn red.

So is it that you get used to checking on the screen for an image of a car over there?
And if you put your turn signal on the image will turn red.
And does the Tesla keep you from going there? whether or not you are in auto steer mode?
Its awful that if you put your blinker on and there is a car in the blind, that you get no warning. Mind boggling!! Once the blinker goes on, it should warn you in some way. Almost every car does that now

If you even slightly attempt to go into a Lane which has a car, the car will let you know not to by giving you big jarring alerts. I'm trying to think of it steers away for you or not. I accidentally tried to make a Lane change and the car gave big alerts and think it tried not to let me steer into that lane.