Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla treat a Not Branded MS after Accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys, I've searched around in the forum and don't see previous experience with repairing a Model S that has been in an accident but was not salvaged ("not branded").

How does a "not branded" get treated by Tesla compared to a salvaged title...
1) Can you buy parts from the dealership? (What parts won't they sell? what the poster said above? HV etc?)
2) Can you get replacement keys from Tesla?
3) How does warranty work for a damaged tesla that was not branded? Still under warranty?
4) Is the car blacklisted by Tesla since it was in an accident (an airbag went off)? Does it need to be recertified by Tesla before you get service again?

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks

If an airbag deployed or the pyrofuse blew, then Tesla will require that the car be completely restored and recertified by them. They do not sell restricted parts directly to consumers, regardless of VIN status, and will require that the parts be installed properly, either by Tesla or a certified shop. Warranty is still good, provided that the cause of the failure was Tesla and not the accident.

"Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv"

That's some hardcore patronage...

It was a combination of a ride in a Roadster, a good investment made in 2010, and experience with Model S that led to the Model X reservation. I don't know if I'll keep the Model 3 reservation -- it might replace my Model S, I might get a refund, and I have at least a couple of years to make that decision... at this point it's unknown. Tesla has a big competitive advantage in its technology, and the big boys simply aren't making the moves to catch up. They're thinking of this as a century-old manufacturing problem rather than a new model.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If an airbag deployed or the pyrofuse blew, then Tesla will require that the car be completely restored and recertified by them. They do not sell restricted parts directly to consumers, regardless of VIN status, and will require that the parts be installed properly, either by Tesla or a certified shop. Warranty is still good, provided that the cause of the failure was Tesla and not the accident.

Thanks for the information. Will tesla require the certified repair be just on the restricted parts or on everything such as body work?

Also, to be clear, once you have a car that's been in an accident (blacklisted by Tesla after the crash report from the telematics), You as an individual cannot buy ANY parts except those marked "OTC". (very few are, things such as the Cabin Air filter, Glycol coolant, etc) Only a Tesla authorized body shop can. After their repair, then on top of whatever premium you pay them, Tesla wants a $2500 fee to "recertify" it, after which (if it passes), you can purchase any unrestricted parts and they will perform paid service work on the car. The warranty is void.

Apparently, you used to at least get cellular connectivity and remote access restored, as long as you paid them $500 for the LTE upgrade. However it now seems their policy is they will no longer provide any connectivity for "recertified" cars, even if you are willing to purchase the $500 LTE upgrade. So bascially all you get for your $2500 is the ability to buy some parts and they will take the car in for service work should you need it. If you don't need the parts, I recommend you not bother with the $2500 until you need their help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I attest to Ingineer's abilities, both with the iron and the software. My 2015 P85D had minor frame damage which was beyond my abilities, and he got me though the worst of it, including hooking me up with a highly-qualified frame shop where the car is now. I'll post info 'soon'.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Also, to be clear, once you have a car that's been in an accident (blacklisted by Tesla after the crash report from the telematics), You as an individual cannot buy ANY parts except those marked "OTC". (very few are, things such as the Cabin Air filter, Glycol coolant, etc) Only a Tesla authorized body shop can. After their repair, then on top of whatever premium you pay them, Tesla wants a $2500 fee to "recertify" it, after which (if it passes), you can purchase any unrestricted parts and they will perform paid service work on the car. The warranty is void.

Apparently, you used to at least get cellular connectivity and remote access restored, as long as you paid them $500 for the LTE upgrade. However it now seems their policy is they will no longer provide any connectivity for "recertified" cars, even if you are willing to purchase the $500 LTE upgrade. So bascially all you get for your $2500 is the ability to buy some parts and they will take the car in for service work should you need it. If you don't need the parts, I recommend you not bother with the $2500 until you need their help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that if my Tesla is in an accident that sets off the airbags that the telematics will be disabled and even after a full repair and recertification Tesla will not reenable the telematics so I could not use the app to e.g. Turn on the climate control? Also, would Tesla also not do remote diagnostics?
Perhaps I misunderstood you and it is only for cars that are officially totaled?
Yes, that part only applies if the car is totaled. I would imagine if you opt to repair it and have it done by an authorized body shop they will never turn it off in the first place.