Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla usually roll out changes vs. announcing changes (radar)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How has Tesla historically handled model changes. Do they:
- Announce first then introduce or remove from the car sometime later
- Or make the change to production cars first and announce it after its already in production and being distributed?

In particular, it now looks like Tesla will announce something about radar before 2/7/2023 based on FCC filing. Are they likely to have started producing cars with the new radar before that date or roll it out afterwards?

I have a MY ready for delivery. I'm debating refusing this vehicle and see if I get a few week delay. But seems risky with the March date for revised tax credit rules.

Can anyone comment on past experience with model changes and announcements?
How were previous changes to the self driving sensor suite handled?

Thanks

How has Tesla historically handled model changes. Do they:
- Announce first then introduce or remove from the car sometime later
- Or make the change to production cars first and announce it after its already in production and being distributed?

In particular, it now looks like Tesla will announce something about radar before 2/7/2023 based on FCC filing. Are they likely to have started producing cars with the new radar before that date or roll it out afterwards?

I have a MY ready for delivery. I'm debating refusing this vehicle and see if I get a few week delay. But seems risky with the March date for revised tax credit rules.

Can anyone comment on past experience with model changes and announcements?
How were previous changes to the self driving sensor suite handled?

Thanks
Historically, Tesla placed in the AP1 then AP2 hardware first then announced that cars rolling out of the production lines have already been equipped with the hardware changes.

Reactions: dm33
...Can anyone comment on past experience with model changes and announcements?....
Tesla did warn in January 2021that new Model S/X coming in March of that year would be with new designs and hardware.

It also offered that Model S Plaid+ would be rated for 520 miles. It's not a typo until Elon Musk canceled the 520 mile car because "no one" needs it.

Reactions: ny888
Tesla has no incentive to tell anyone ahead of time. All that does is drop sales for the time leading up to the change.
Just like they didn't tell anyone they were dropping the price by 20%.
They will start producing them and then let people know once they are produced.
If you want to wait for HW4, return of USS, and addition of HD radar then just wait till it happens.

I am newer to the Club Tesla, but my observation is that it seems Tesla announces stuff almost as it is happening. And there is no time bounds (like a "model year"). When something is ready to be changed, it starts happening about the same time it is announced. So, there is no predictability in when things might show up. And the new radar stuff is mega speculation about what it would even be used for, much less when it might appear.

Reactions: Yelobird
Does anyone even know when radar was removed from Model Y's (i.e., MY's built after this date did not have the radar)? As I recall this was sometime in 2022 but I don't recall Tesla ever disclosing the actual date when Tesla stopped installing the 1st generation radar. They may not make it clear the date or VIN for which all newly built vehicles will have the new radar installed.

Does anyone even know when radar was removed from Model Y's (i.e., MY's built after this date did not have the radar)? As I recall this was sometime in 2022 but I don't recall Tesla ever disclosing the actual date when Tesla stopped installing the 1st generation radar. They may not make it clear the date or VIN for which all newly built vehicles will have the new radar installed.
A new support page entitled “Transitioning to Tesla Vision” reveals that all Model 3/Y delivered in May 2021 and later in Canada and the US will no longer be equipped with radar.
There's also a reference stating that a tweet was the announcement. Looks like the article has a typo and meant 5/12/2021. Tesla is ditching radar, will rely on cameras for Autopilot in some cars
CEO Elon Musk had said Tesla would move to a “pure vision” approach in a tweet March 12.
This may be the tweet they're referring to:

Seems something like HW4 or HD radar hardware would be pretty hard to “hide” on cars aiming off the line. Given how closely folks scrutinize their car parts on delivery, seems it would have popped up on this forum the moment someone gets the new hardware (even if it’s disabled).

Sorry, Looks like I am lost.
Do anyone please help me understand.
1. Radar-Is this needed to have the self drive?
2.HW4-what changes we are expecting? Is this a worth to wait till this change is confirmed.
3. What other changes/upgrades done 2022 Vs 2023 model?

What about those who have recently taken delivery without the radar? Seems like it will necessary to have it to get full functionality back (i.e. park assist).
Radar was never used for park assist. Radar used radio waves to detect distance and speed of other vehicles in front of yours, for the adaptive cruise control and autopilot. This is now done by using cameras only, even on cars that have a radar (AP1 vehicles excepted)

Park assist was done with ultrasonic sensors - short range audio waves to detect distance from objects very close to your car.
These sensors have been removed in some markets which means park assist etc is not available until Tesla figure out how to do the same with cameras only.

Reactions: evannole
Also note that there's a pretty good chance in the next few months Tesla will put simpler stalkless steering wheels similar to Model S and X into Model 3 and Y. I think it would be a big downgrade. In the end it's all about what's important to you. I don't care for FSD at all so the return of the radar ain't affect me as much.

Do you think to push FSD the new radar is made available/ or enabled only for people who order/subscribe to FSD? As per reports which i have read Tesla has appox 85K FSD users and $15K is a steep price for FSD which is still work in progress.

Sorry, Looks like I am lost.
Do anyone please help me understand.
2.HW4-what changes we are expecting? Is this a worth to wait till this change is confirmed.
Please don't be discouraged. You are not alone. All us Tesla owners are in the same boat. You may find this forum very helpful to work your way through the five stages of grief, (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance).

Absolutely not. I have personally been quite successfully driving without a radar for a very long time - in fact long before radar was even invented. (A radar detector, OTOH can be very handy if you break the speed limit frequently.)

2. HW4-what changes we are expecting? Is this a worth to wait till this change is confirmed.
Trying to predict the future is a fool's errand. Nobody has any idea what, if any, changes may or may not be made to HW4, if in fact, there even is such a thing. Tesla's may be shipping currently with HW6 for all any of us know. If someone tells you they know exactly what is going on, you should be very skeptical. As for waiting, .3 below will answer.

Tesla changes are completely random and dependent upon an almost unlimited number of factors. Changes are made to cars being assembled to determine if the change is a good thing. If the decision is that it is a good change, the word is spread and when necessary parts are available some cars may or may not have that change. If the decision is that change attempt was not a good idea, then that change may or may not be removed from the one and only vehicle that had the change, but it won't be implemented on other vehicles and this particular vehicle will be unique forever. One of the differences between Tesla and legacy vehicle manufacturers is the latter take years to move from considering a change to actually implementing it and at Tesla changes happen multiple times per day. The build process and vehicles undergo continuous change. Bizarre as it sounds, the result is wonderful, the cars steadily get both better and less expensive. But this also means if you wait for a rumored change - it may never happen or if it does, it may vanish before you can react. If there is some version you want, then about the only answer is to find a used one you can examine and buy it if you like it.

Do you think to push FSD the new radar is made available/ or enabled only for people who order/subscribe to FSD? As per reports which i have read Tesla has appox 85K FSD users and $15K is a steep price for FSD which is still work in progress.
Not sure what “reports“ you reading but last I checked over 100k Plus people have downloaded FSD Beta and I Guess/Assume we are only half way there. That’s the issue with many of these topics. They had an FCC test for a radar which in No way suggested a car, the Semi, the Robots etc they also make and it Instantly becomes a Fact on forums that cars are getting a radar. Maybe but for managed expectations I would sway towards maybe not.

Not sure what “reports“ you reading but last I checked over 100k Plus people have downloaded FSD Beta and I Guess/Assume we are only half way there. That’s the issue with many of these topics. They had an FCC test for a radar which in No way suggested a car, the Semi, the Robots etc they also make and it Instantly becomes a Fact on forums that cars are getting a radar. Maybe but for managed expectations I would sway towards maybe not.
People found new radar brackets for Model X and S in the Tesla part catalog. Tesla new “Hardware 4” radar makes appearance in parts catalog

HW4 wise the only thing I'm looking forward to is the 5MP camera, Vision is doing fine performing basic AP functions but struggles in low vis conditions, so HD radar is nice but not a must. I doubt HW4 will reintroduce USS, since it's only be removed in late 2022.