Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to install a 110v outlet through an inverter, hooked to the battery, how quickly am I gonna drain the 12v battery while the car is parked and the inverter is powering some heavy use items? The car would most likely not display is was turned to ‘on’ because I wouldn’t be sitting in the driver seat with my foot hitting the brake to power on the gear selector- yet does the car automagically charge the 12v even when it’s sitting by itself in park/ non driving mode?

It does, depending on the power saving mode and what's going on otherwise.

I don't know all the details, but it seems like with power saving turned on it may check in on the 12V and charge it if needed on a periodic basis.

If I was in a situation where I needed to run an inverter off of the car for an extended period, I'd probably use the preconditioning or "keep climate on" settings with the fan at minimum and the temperature as close to ambient as I could get, which would make sure the car stayed awake and charging the 12V.

I think I remember seeing the 12V being 35Ah a while back?- it won't take long to drain it with higher power items.

I'm not sure how powerful the dc-dc converter is, either, or what cooling it has. Extended use of the inverter at high power levels might overheat the dc dc converter or simply draw faster than it can fill, draining the 12V despite the car's best efforts.

I wanted to charge a little remote control airplane battery at the field with a charger your normally use a car battery to charge the battery. I understand you can have access to the 12v via the tow hook cover but dies this 12v battery get charged automatically? Will I end up draining the battery if I were use this system to charge up these batteries throughout the year?

I wanted to charge a little remote control airplane battery at the field with a charger your normally use a car battery to charge the battery. I understand you can have access to the 12v via the tow hook cover but dies this 12v battery get charged automatically? Will I end up draining the battery if I were use this system to charge up these batteries throughout the year?

I've had a 12V fridge in the car running with the car parked and unplugged for a couple days on a few occasions with no problems. I think the algorithms managing the SoC of the 12V battery are smart enough to adjust to extra loads on the 12V. You should be fine.

The "12V" under the tow ring cover is not really 12V on a Model 3. It is for applying voltage to open the front trunk.
You should NEVER charge model airplane batteries in/on your car. Read your charger and battery directions.

BTW vacationed in Hawaii recently and loved it.

I've had a 12V fridge in the car running with the car parked and unplugged for a couple days on a few occasions with no problems. I think the algorithms managing the SoC of the 12V battery are smart enough to adjust to extra loads on the 12V. You should be fine.

Thank you! Just curious, when does this 12V get charged? (Car running/on the charger?)