Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the audio work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my 3 in a couple weeks, I think. Yea!

Currently have 2013 Leaf, which I've enjoyed for the most part. I listen mostly to XM in it.

I understand that's not an option. But browsing the net and here can't figure out what my options will be. I can't quite figure out even what the audio menu is for the car, haven't found it on Tesla site and in forums most conversation seems to be from folks who are already in possession and with familiarity.

So I will egotistically list MY listening profile, would be grateful for comments about whether I'll be able to continue more or less, and what if any choices I might need to make.

The XM channels we use most often now are:

Hits and Venus--Pop music (yeah I'm 56, but feel if you listen to oldies you get oldie yourself)
'70's (wife hates the new stuff, clearly philosophical delta there)
BBC World Service
CNN
Bloomberg
Chill (EDM for mellow people)
The Groove (older funk tunes, even I am a sucker for Ohio Players etc)
Real Jazz (the older stuff, less electronic)
Symphony

Also listen to NPR on local FM station, but do at least understand there is FM radio on the car.

Outside the car, I listen on my iPhone to music I buy occasionally and a couple of podcasts.

Thanks very much for assistance. I'm looking forward mostly to getting down to using the car as a car, and for me listening to some tunes helps make that process more enjoyable. I gather from everyone that this car will be fun by itself, but somehow don't anticipate selling my house to move into it.

Thanks!

You made an amazing choice, you will love this car and never look back!

Now to your question:

Hits and Venus--Pop music (yeah I'm 56, but feel if you listen to oldies you get oldie yourself) - this is me, almost same age and for the same reason as you, I try and stay connected with my kids (16 and 19) music habits. There are many options as you will see in the Slacker Lineup- abandoning XM is an excellent choice, with its atrocious audio quality, I recommend getting a Spotify Account and spending some time finding what you like yon a laptop, then download the app and save those stations on your phone.

'70's (wife hates the new stuff, clearly philosophical delta there) - same as above

BBC World Service - TUNEIN in the car has this - good choice
CNN - I think you can find it on TuneIN, but why listen to this crap?
Bloomberg - TUNEIN
Chill (EDM for mellow people) - TUNEIN, SLACKER and SPOTIFY have tons of EDM especially SPOTIFY
The Groove (older funk tunes, even I am a sucker for Ohio Players etc)- TUNEIN, SLACKER and SPOTIFY
Real Jazz (the older stuff, less electronic) - SPOTIFY has alot

Symphony - download on a USB Stick from HDTRACKS so you really get the sonic fidelity this music deserves after listening to XM, you will slap yourself for ever paying for the service. If you think OLDIES date you, XM sends a louder message.... I'm old, dont understand the internet, and listen to old dudes talking about nothing on talk radio (sorry I dont listen to sports, have to see it to get anything out of it). (yes i am opinionated!)

So again options are:
HDTRACKS - pay per album for high quality stuff on a USB stick (best sonic quality in TESLA) currently about 10% of my listening in car - just for really good music

SPOTIFY 320 kbps audio in very high quality audio for music - worlds largest collection
Audio settings - Spotify - 80% of listening

Slacker Stations 128 kbps with Tesla free service and 320 kbps with paid service
Audio Quality - rarely use

TUNEIN Stream Radio By Location | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn 128 kpbs is the best I have seen, it is station dependent. - use as a replacement for XM for talk radio

By comparison XM's audio "quality" is ~96 kbps - welcome to the 1920's.... this is ok for talk radio, but the worst option for Symphony, Jazz, EDM, (but OK for listening to CNN, BLOOMBERG, BBC and any talk radio)

Again welcome to the fraternity of Tesla brothers and sisters.

Also here is a good breakdown of news sources so you stay away from the craptastic noise makers. Stay away from anything outside the green and yellow line. Entertainment begins at the orange/red line and is like listening to Saturday night live - good for laughs if you are smart enough to figure out the agenda... Also I dont always agree with characterizations of stations, as I have found good stuff even in the orange/red zone at times (depends on the reporter).

h9o44gxqk3h01.png

Last edited:
Xenoilphobe

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like Slacker and TuneIn come with...Slacker you have to pay up to get higher quality sound. Although truth be told my ears are not of high enough discernment to not like XM, perhaps they'll tell me differently later.

Do you prefer Spotify vs Slacker because you already used it and were familiar? That is one area I haven't modernized in yet. Holdover from when it seemed those guys and others were kind ripping off artists, although I think the dynamics have changed since.

Very cool graphic. In print, I like the Financial Times.

QUOTE="Xenoilphobe, post: 3155811, member: 20048"]You made an amazing choice, you will love this car and never look back

Now to your question:

Hits and Venus--Pop music (yeah I'm 56, but feel if you listen to oldies you get oldie yourself) - this is me, almost same age and for the same reason as you, I try and stay connected with my kids (16 and 19) music habits. There are many options as you will see in the Slacker Lineup- abandoning XM is an excellent choice, with its atrocious audio quality, I recommend getting a Spotify Account and spending some time finding what you like yon a laptop, then download the app and save those stations on your phone.

'70's (wife hates the new stuff, clearly philosophical delta there) - same as above

Bloomberg - TUNEIN
Chill (EDM for mellow people) - TUNEIN, SLACKER and SPOTIFY have tons of EDM especially SPOTIFY
The Groove (older funk tunes, even I am a sucker for Ohio Players etc)- TUNEIN, SLACKER and SPOTIFY

Symphony - download on a USB Stick from HDTRACKS so you really get the sonic fidelity this music deserves after listening to XM, you will slap yourself for ever paying for the service. If you think OLDIES date you, XM sends a louder message.... I'm old, dont understand the internet, and listen to old dudes talking about nothing on talk radio (sorry I dont listen to sports, have to see it to get anything out of it). (yes i am opinionated!)

So again options are:
HDTRACKS - pay per album for high quality stuff on a USB stick (best sonic quality in TESLA) currently about 10% of my listening in car - just for really good music

SPOTIFY 320 kbps audio in very high quality audio for music - worlds largest collection

Slacker Stations 128 kbps with Tesla free service and 320 kbps with paid service

TUNEIN Stream Radio By Location | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn 128 kpbs is the best I have seen, it is station dependent. - use as a replacement for XM for talk radio

By comparison XM's audio "quality" is ~96 kbps - welcome to the 1920's.... this is ok for talk radio, but the worst option for Symphony, Jazz, EDM, (but OK for listening to CNN, BLOOMBERG, BBC and any talk radio)

Also here is a good breakdown of news sources so you stay away from the craptastic noise makers. Stay away from anything outside the green and yellow line. Entertainment begins at the orange/red line and is like listening to Saturday night live - good for laughs if you are smart enough to figure out the agenda... Also I dont always agree with characterizations of stations, as I have found good stuff even in the orange/red zone at times (depends on the reporter).

h9o44gxqk3h01.png
[/QUOTE]
You made an amazing choice, you will love this car and never look back!

Now to your question:

Bloomberg - TUNEIN

So again options are:

h9o44gxqk3h01.png

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

This does not exist on the Model 3 in North America (it does overseas)

You'd have to use your phones data and stream it over bluetooth (so lower quality than USB)

This is incorrect- it's 64kb, with no option for better on the Model 3. Covered in many previous threads.

For $30 a year I get Slacker at 320 bits. Great great sound in the M3 with lots of choices.......and it works anywhere there is service.

Again, no, you don't (unless you mean streaming it from your phone via bluetooth using your phones data- not using the built in car client with the cars data plan)

64kb, no matter your subscription, in the model 3.

The Model 3 does not allow changing bitrate. (and changing it on another client does not change it in the Model 3). This has been repeatedly confirmed by slacker support.

They really ought to sticky this in here given how often it needs to be explained.

On the Model S, with the higher-option stereo, there used to be an option to change the quality on the slacker app- but they've since removed it, and they never offered it on the Model 3.

Likely this is because Tesla doesn't feel like paying 2-5 times the data charges for users at higher bitrates, especially given how many won't notice the difference.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe