Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the car connect for data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming Tesla cars maintain connectivity for data...navigation, etc....

and I'll assume it's cellular.
Which network?
Is that something the owner pays?

How does that work? I understand there's a premium connectivity subscription...but what if that's not selected?

Also, does it cover any sort of safety reporting....like onstar?

The Tesla is similar to a phone where it will use LTE (ATT) or wifi if you connect to an open network. Updates are only done over Wifi unless it's a critical update, even if you have premium connectivity.

Navigation comes standard over LTE that Tesla pays for. But if you want detailed maps, streaming music, and Tesla theater via LTE you'll need to upgrade to premium connectivity. All of these features work on Wifi with or without the subscription.

More info: Connectivity

You get roadside assistance with Tesla under the new vehicle warranty: Vehicle Warranty

so AT&T... interesting. It's been a while but I used to use ATT for cell phones. At one time their coverage was great, but it seemed like towards the end of my time with them it wasn't so good in some parts of the country...
How well does that work for those of you not in AT&T country?

About the roadside..... what I meant was more like onstar where they'll call 911 for you if the airbags deploy, or an operator can call you if you've knocked your head and stuck in a ditch.... I'm doubting this level of coverage exists, but it does seem like a technology solution that could be in a large way automated with all the tech in a tesla car.... so the question just came to mind....

Coverage is really impressive. I even get coverage 5 stories underground in the parking garage at work. I have only lost coverage once, and I was WAY out in the middle of nowhere.

I think that because it has an antenna the size of a car and an essentially unlimited power budget the reception is way better than a phone would be on the same network.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric