Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the car know the wiper fluid is low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I that most windshield washer systems either use a float inside the tank or a fluid sensor mounted low inside the tank. A stuck float or bad sensor could fool the car into thinking that you're low on fluid. It could also be a loose / broken / intermittent electrical connection to said float/sensor that causes the problem. If you know for sure that the tank is full and the washer system works as it should and you are not one to tinker with trying to fix it yourself, I'd include it in a list of things to check the next time you visit a service center.

So I've had my model 3 for just over a year. Today the warning light said that the fluid was low. This is the second time that the wiper fluid has been low in a year. I've never added fluid to any of my other cars. Is the reservoir tank small? I don't see any signs of leaks...

You clearly live in a very different climate. Me (in winter): This is the second time that the wiper fluid has been low this month. The reservoir must be huge!

Reactions: G35Rocker
Someone on another forum said they thought it was around 3/4 of a gallon or so after filling theirs. I am surprised that the Manual or DIY Guide for topping off the windshield washer fluid doesn't indicate the fluid capacity.

Mine just came on last night, got the car July 27th, have probably used the washers twenty times, mostly to marvel at how they put the spray nozzles there. No idea how much it had been filled with when new.
I'm going to try the 303 tablets and see how they work out, although the as-supplied Tesla blue poison seemed fine but messy.

Mine just came on last night, got the car July 27th, have probably used the washers twenty times, mostly to marvel at how they put the spray nozzles there. No idea how much it had been filled with when new.
I'm going to try the 303 tablets and see how they work out, although the as-supplied Tesla blue poison seemed fine but messy.

That blue poison is some of the most effective stuff I’ve EVER seen.... but also by far the most messy. I would love to know what Tesla uses. In previous cars in the summer with bugs I would have to run like four or five sprays to actually get any cleaning where as Tesla dissolves and loosens those suckers in one or two sprays!

Anyone know what Tesla uses? Or are they just shipping with ultra concentrated solution?

That blue poison is some of the most effective stuff I’ve EVER seen.... but also by far the most messy. I would love to know what Tesla uses. In previous cars in the summer with bugs I would have to run like four or five sprays to actually get any cleaning where as Tesla dissolves and loosens those suckers in one or two sprays!

Anyone know what Tesla uses? Or are they just shipping with ultra concentrated solution?

Agree. I’d love to find what they use as well.

I’m really surprised no one has been able to get a service center to tell them or that a service center employee hasn’t posted something....

Maybe Tesla just ships an unbranded concentrate to the service centers? I can’t imagine it’s something specific to Tesla or made in house...

So I've had my model 3 for just over a year. Today the warning light said that the fluid was low. This is the second time that the wiper fluid has been low in a year. I've never added fluid to any of my other cars. Is the reservoir tank small? I don't see any signs of leaks...
So you’ve never added wiper fluid to any of your cars? How is that possible, unless you never use it.

Since we are on the topic of windshield wiper fluid, I am curious if anyone has a problem with the blue stuff spattering on a white car? I am awaiting my pearl white one and saw a YT video of it being quite messy and having to spray clean around the windshield after using the wipers. Is this the case for anyone?