Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the car know what the speed limit is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Asheboro bypass here in NC has been open since December 2020. It’s a clearly marked, 4 lane, 65 mph, divided highway (looks like any interstate) that my M3 thinks is a 45 mph country road. I’ve taken great care to drive cleanly past the speed limit signs but the car ignores them. It drives me crazy that I have to keep my foot on the accelerator in order to use autopilot above 45 through this whole stretch of road.

I know, first world problems, right?

:) Still fun to figure out how things work with empirical evidence...!!

Reactions: Petermcg
The Asheboro bypass here in NC has been open since December 2020. It’s a clearly marked, 4 lane, 65 mph, divided highway (looks like any interstate) that my M3 thinks is a 45 mph country road. I’ve taken great care to drive cleanly past the speed limit signs but the car ignores them. It drives me crazy that I have to keep my foot on the accelerator in order to use autopilot above 45 through this whole stretch of road.

I know, first world problems, right?

With a new map update being pushed out now, curious if that bypass will be corrected. I suspect it may be as the mapping data is from 2021.

Reactions: Petermcg
Asheboro Bypass is tagged as 65 mph both on TomTom and OSM.

Then let’s see what things look like once you get the new map update (NA-2021.44 it appears to be.). I believe firmware 2022.4+ is required for them, but could be wrong.

The previous maps were NA-2020.48 I believe which would date them to late November 2020. So that’s what you’re driving around with now.

Then let’s see what things look like once you get the new map update (NA-2021.44 it appears to be.). I believe firmware 2022.4+ is required for them, but could be wrong.

The previous maps were NA-2020.48 I believe which would date them to late November 2020. So that’s what you’re driving around with now.
I know when it first opened it wasn’t on the map at all. Then at some point they added the highway & exits, but no speed limit. A divided highway should let autopilot navigate at any speed even without knowing the speed limit, but no dice here.

Not anymore. It hasn't been this way for a while now. All it uses is vision to tell the speed. That is why it gets it wrong more often then before because it can't read the special speed limit signs like '30 Ends'. It keeps thinking that means it's 30MPH limit.
It's not that simple. When mergin into a 50 KM/H road from a 40 KM/H road, there are no signs and yet, the displayed switches to 50 KM/H as soon as I get on that road.

It's valuable data, so better to let private companies collect it and make a profit than the gov't to spend LOTS of tax dollars collecting it in the least efficient way.

Not sure why anyone would downvote this. It's simple economics. Private companies have to be efficient with their dollars to survive, but government does the opposite. Government is always economically inefficient. Every... single... time. Always. Spend, spend, spend. It's just how the government works.

When it comes to getting something done where a private company can make a profit, let private companies do it. When it comes to things that must be done but no one has economic will, that's when the government has to do the job. It's never efficient though, because the government doesn't work that way. Ever.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Not sure why anyone would downvote this. It's simple economics. Private companies have to be efficient with their dollars to survive, but government does the opposite. Government is always economically inefficient. Every... single... time. Always. Spend, spend, spend. It's just how the government works.

When it comes to getting something done where a private company can make a profit, let private companies do it. When it comes to things that must be done but no one has economic will, that's when the government has to do the job. It's never efficient though, because the government doesn't work that way. Ever.

Because a) it’s a gross generalization, and b) your statement proves itself wrong. If something can’t be accomplished at a profit, then the government’s option IS (technically speaking) most efficient.

Also, it is never a profitable motive to even try to serve everyone. In fact, companies blatantly say they don’t want some customers. So your focus on “profit equals efficiency” as the guiding light also inherently supports discrimination.

I’ve worked for the government. I spent YEARS in private industry, first, in big companies and small, publicly traded and not. There are inefficient companies in the private sector too. Anyone remember Ma Bell?? They made TONS of profit but stifled innovation to do it. Where’s the efficiency there?? I guess the government breaking that monopoly up was inefficient, then?

@Mods, will stop here because this is not really relevant to the OP’s question. Apologies to all.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
A school zone (20 in a 35) near me always shows 20MPH on the screen no matter what day or time of day. Another always shows as 35MPH. It's just silly.
We have toll lanes that are 75 parallel but separate to non-toll that are 65. Driving on the 65 under the access road to the 75 and the screen always sows 75 for a while. More sillyness.
Driving thru Temple, Tx on the somewhat new I-35 in a 65 the car suddenly changes to 35. Pretty dangerous.
So I don't know what it uses. Maybe it varies.

A school zone (20 in a 35) near me always shows 20MPH on the screen no matter what day or time of day. Another always shows as 35MPH. It's just silly.
We have toll lanes that are 75 parallel but separate to non-toll that are 65. Driving on the 65 under the access road to the 75 and the screen always sows 75 for a while. More sillyness.
Driving thru Temple, Tx on the somewhat new I-35 in a 65 the car suddenly changes to 35. Pretty dangerous.
So I don't know what it uses. Maybe it varies.

Yep. $12k for FSD is just too much for this

I just drove the bypass and the speed limits are now recognized by my car. Finally!

Reactions: dmurphy
Everyone's stressing over whether the car recognizes speed limits but I daresay most folks drive faster than the posted limits "once in awhile"...and others speeding down the road don't lead to this much angst. Societally, everyone's had more than $12k in education and yet apparently recognizing (and adhering to) speed limits isn't guaranteed.

Just saying...maybe Elon's FSD is onto something...

Everyone's stressing over whether the car recognizes speed limits but I daresay most folks drive faster than the posted limits "once in awhile"...and others speeding down the road don't lead to this much angst. Societally, everyone's had more than $12k in education and yet apparently recognizing (and adhering to) speed limits isn't guaranteed.

Just saying...maybe Elon's FSD is onto something...

You're missing the fact that Autopilot goes to a max of the indicated speed limit + 10 km/h on regional roads so if a 90 km/h zone is interpreted at 60 km/h, it's pretty annoying...

Except for passing zones, there is no such thing as fast lanes on regional roads ;)

By regional roads do you mean local/non-controlled access roads?

Because AP isn't intended for use on those in the first place.

Is there a way to have autopilot adjust to the speed limit? When ever I turn on autopilot it seems to just stay at whatever speed I turned it on at.

If it's 55 and then I enter a 50 MPH speed limit zone it'll remain at 55.

From the owners manual-

Choose whether you want Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to engage at the detected speed limit, or your current driving speed.

Sounds like you have it set to "current driving speed"

To change it-

Touch Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed.

If you choose to engage Traffic-Aware Cruise Control at the currently detected speed limit, you can specify an offset.

Touch Set Speed Offset. You can choose a Fixed offset, in which the cruising speed adjusts by a specific number of mph (km/h) on all roads, or a Percentage offset, in which the cruising speed is adjusted as a percentage of the road's detected speed limit.