Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the delivery process work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for MY LR AWD Blue with hitch and just like everyone else I have watched the delivery window change almost daily. It is usually around the middle of June so that is what I am hoping for. My question is more about the process. As I understand it once you have a reservation number the steps are:
1 - Wait for a VIN
2 - Get contacted to make the final payment (how long after this contact do I have to get payment to Tesla?)
3 - The "check" clears and they setup a delivery date (Do I have any say on the delivery date?) Some where I saw a three day window?
4 - The actual delivery is contact-less (at least until the middle of June in California ). Is this when we sign the papers?

The reason I am asking is because we have a baptism to attend in another state that is, sometimes, within the 20 day estimated window.

I have tried contacting Tesla but so far their email appers to be broken :^) The sales associate and the order support people are quiet.

This is how it went for me.
  1. It all starts with a VIN.
  2. Once you have a VIN you will get a text, email or a call stating that they want to setup delivery. Mine was a text telling me they have scheduled a delivery for this day and reply to the text/email or phone call.
  3. If you are okay with the date you need to do final payment. In my case I had a bank draft and residual which I ACH'd to Tesla.
  4. I then needed to change my date. I moved it out three days from the original date due to family event was scheduled on the original date.
  5. They drove the car over since I was only three miles from the Service Center. With another person in another Model Y to shuttle the Tesla rep back to the Service Center once I have accepted.
  6. Held on to the bank draft while I walked around the car checked it out asked to look inside and the representative let me.
  7. He stated I had 7 days or 100 miles to report any issues with the vehicle. Told me I could access the car with the App or Tesla key card. I signed DMV paper work, endorsed the bank draft.
  8. At that point...I thought about keeping the Tesla rep while I looked at the car. But after seeing the car and looking at the inside/outside I was okay with handing over the bank draft to the Tesla representative because there were no glaring issues. He asked if I needed any instruction on the car? I said no and he also pointed out that the user manual is accessible via the Screen in the car or on the web. He left.
  9. I spent the next two hours going over the car looking for anything that I thought needed to be addressed (even really small things) [filling out a Model Y checklist].
  10. Opened the Tesla App and made a service appointment to get these items addressed or explained why they were within tolerance.
  11. Went out for a drive with my family and we love our new car.

Upvote 0
This is how it went for me.
  1. It all starts with a VIN.
  2. Once you have a VIN you will get a text, email or a call stating that they want to setup delivery. Mine was a text telling me they have scheduled a delivery for this day and reply to the text/email or phone call.
  3. If you are okay with the date you need to do final payment. In my case I had a bank draft and residual which I ACH'd to Tesla.
  4. I then needed to change my date. I moved it out three days from the original date due to family event was scheduled on the original date.
  5. They drove the car over since I was only three miles from the Service Center. With another person in another Model Y to shuttle the Tesla rep back to the Service Center once I have accepted.
  6. Held on to the bank draft while I walked around the car checked it out asked to look inside and the representative let me.
  7. He stated I had 7 days or 100 miles to report any issues with the vehicle. Told me I could access the car with the App or Tesla key card. I signed DMV paper work, endorsed the bank draft.
  8. At that point...I thought about keeping the Tesla rep while I looked at the car. But after seeing the car and looking at the inside/outside I was okay with handing over the bank draft to the Tesla representative because there were no glaring issues. He asked if I needed any instruction on the car? I said no and he also pointed out that the user manual is accessible via the Screen in the car or on the web. He left.
  9. I spent the next two hours going over the car looking for anything that I thought needed to be addressed (even really small things) [filling out a Model Y checklist].
  10. Opened the Tesla App and made a service appointment to get these items addressed or explained why they were within tolerance.
  11. Went out for a drive with my family and we love our new car.
Thanks for the very informative reply. My situation is slightly different but this give me a much better feel for the process. Wish there was a FAQ someplace that could capture this kind of information. Although it would be a challenge to keep it current with Tesla's policies and procedures.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
How does it work for folks who are doing a loan? Go to the dealership and do paperwork just like any other car purchase? I'm putting money down also but don't know how much yet. Depends on what payments will be.
My understanding is that they would then have additional paperwork for the loan that you would sign while signing the DMV and other paper work.

If I did not have the bank draft they said they could have drop the car off with paper work inside on my drive way. Once I was home I could open the car review and sign the paper work and send to paper work back to Tesla.

That was how it was explained to me. But I am sure there may have been a step where I accept the car in the mobile app. But since I had a modified process I do not know for sure..

Upvote 0