TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does the heater work?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by seyclone, Jul 19, 2018.

1. seyclone

seyclone Member

Does the Model 3 use a resistance heater or a heat pump to heat the car in the winter?

2. Brian's ReX

Brian's ReX Member

I believe (although others probably have much more intimate knowledge than I on this subject) that it is a resistance heater - which I have been told is why it is the single largest draw on the electrical system other than the motors.

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Resistance heater.

4. seyclone

seyclone Member

Too bad. A heat pump is much more energy efficient and they could have used the AC compressor.

• Disagree x 1
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

There is a many page thread in the model s forum here on the topic.

I agree it would have been a good choice.

There are some reasons this choice makes sense too. I won’t try to remember or rehash them here.

6. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Reasons include, but are certainly not limited to, increased cost, complexity and marginal energy savings in very cold climates.

7. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

But they don't work very well when it gets really cold & the efficiency goes down as the temperature does. At least that's true of my heat pump/AC in my house. I'm guessing a resistance heater is the most reliable option in all scenarios.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The problem is that while you may need cabin heat it is possible that you need to cool the battery and/or motor/charger/inverter at the same time.

• Like x 1
  9. seyclone

seyclone Member

Thanks, all. I suspected that there would be a lot of posts on the subject. I guess I was using the wrong search criteria.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

• Informative x 1