Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the interior look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a friend of mine who has seen a MS (not sure when) & warned me that the interior doesn't look that great for as much as the car is.

Now, I realize that this isn't my impression (I haven't seen one yet), but I wondered what you felt (slightly biased of course).

It also depends on taste. I would agree, that if you were take $90-100k to another car maker, they put things in to noticeably make the car seem fancy. The Model S interior is clean and modern, but some would also describe it as plain.

Howevever, in my experience, people are wowed by the screen and the leather trim everywhere. I can see where your friend's coming from though. I don't think it's really a thing where you can claim it looks bad. I think it's more that some people expect a $90-100k car to be more oppulent.

The way I see it, Tesla's style just isn't like that, and the main reason for the cost is the battery, other tech and R&D. I think that if Tesla could have released only one version of the car, the 85 kWh (okay with the option to have or not have Perfomance), and have it only cost $60-70k even with all of the bells & whistles, I think that they totally would have.

I think it's apples to oranges. Since all functions are via the screen, the interior seems plain compared to cars of comparable cost/performance. There aren't any buteos r knonbs
Brave new world.

The interior of the production vehicle far exceeded my expectations, and the seats were way more comfortable than I thought they were going to be! What the others have mentions is definitely true, a lot of the early show cars in the stores are betas probably and not the final production versions, final production is much nicer than beta.

It also depends on taste. I would agree, that if you were take $90-100k to another car maker, they put things in to noticeably make the car seem fancy. The Model S interior is clean and modern, but some would also describe it as plain.

I'm trading my '09 Cadillac CTS in tomorrow for my new S, but as of right now, I think the Caddy interior is much nicer than Tesla's. Check back with me in a week or two, because I am open to changing this view after having lived the new interior for a while.

The Model S interior is just a different animal, especially if you're used to Audi or BMW interiors. The Model S is a beautiful example of the Bauhaus asthetic: simple, uncluttered and functional, with bold use of line and form. After getting used to the Model S, with its upgradeable driver interface, it becomes obvious that other luxury cars are stuck in time with their hardware-based thinking. Fit and finish is up there with the best of them, in my opinion.

2013-Tesla-Model-S-interior-1.jpg

I concur with what others have said so far: the Model S has an elegant and minimalist interior aesthetic. If you like lots of bins and handles and cup holders and similar amenities your likely to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you prefer an uncluttered design free of things that are prone to rattling when driving, then you'll be right at home. I love the details and overall look. I find our two-tone grey interior both tasteful and comfortable.

Obviously aesthetics are subjective, and I know a lot of people aren't happy with the interior, but I really like it.

Other than the screen, the interior doesn't grab you as "cool" the second you jump in - but I too really enjoy the clean, uncluttered lines and I think that makes it more relaxing if you spend a lot of time in there. Somebody posted pictures of 10 interiors here a while back; and while my pick at first glance wasn't the Model S, the longer I compared the pictures, the more I liked the Model S picture - and in the end that was my favorite. I think 10 years from now it will look better (at least less dated) than some busier interiors that grab you right away.

I'd like a very small enclosed storage unit near the USB ports, but that's the only thing I'd change. (Well, I would make some minor color and texture adjustments; but I'm talking about the overall design).

My most recent previous car was an M37 with the optional upgraded interior. The Tesla doesn't compare in materials and opulence. I hated the Tesla interior when I first saw it and it was nearly a show stopper for me. I did get used to it enough to place an order. Now that I have the car, I actually appreciate t he simple straightforward lines and lack of clutter. My only disappointment is the use of cheapish looking textured black plastic around the doors and hatch areas. Lexus and Infiniti have a much less plasticky looking treatment, or actually laminate the plastic with a cover material of some sort. German cars aren't much better in this regard than the Tesla. We can agree to disagree with the design of the interior until the cows come home. I am pleased to report that the execution of the Tesla interior is flawless. It is as good as anything I have owned. Perhaps not totally my taste in design, but simple and elegant in its own way.

I don't understand the comments about the "cheap plastic". Maybe it's different in the P85, but it's not just plastic at all; it very distinctly has a soft texture to it... If you push a fingernail into it, it sinks in, and if you tap on you can hear that it has a nice solid, thick sound. This goes for all of the "plastic" trim in the front of the car as well as the backs of the seats. It seems equal to, or better than, similarly textured surfaces from my old Lexus.

Other than the screen, the interior doesn't grab you as "cool" the second you jump in - but I too really enjoy the clean, uncluttered lines and I think that makes it more relaxing if you spend a lot of time in there.
When I look back at other vehicles (especially ones where people post pictures of "cool" interiors), I can't help but get the impression that they're simply trying to hard.

Other car owner: "How do you like the interior on my new ___.?"
Model S owner: "Oh, I wasn't really paying attention. The engine was loud though."

You are correct about the seat back. I hadn't noticed as I don't spend any time in the back seat. It does have a soft-touch finish to it. I was referring to the door jambs and the entire rear hatch cover which are relatively shiny textured plastic. The dash board is very nicely finished, I have no problems there. My last 3 Lexus, 2 Infiniti's and 2 BMW's all had better plastic treatment everywhere. Of course the Lexus were boring to drive, the BMW's were always broken and the Infiniti were noisy. I'll take the plasticy look and the great drive.

Are your door sills covered with a metal plate?

I don't understand the comments about the "cheap plastic". Maybe it's different in the P85, but it's not just plastic at all; it very distinctly has a soft texture to it... If you push a fingernail into it, it sinks in, and if you tap on you can hear that it has a nice solid, thick sound. This goes for all of the "plastic" trim in the front of the car as well as the backs of the seats. It seems equal to, or better than, similarly textured surfaces from my old Lexus.

Agreed, have spent a whole lot of time with the upholstery and trim in the S (many different vehicles) and the quality/texture is excellent.

Yeah, I also wanted to point out, since I didn't really say one way or another before, that I also like the interior and I think it is cool, stylish, and futuristic without being too wild.

Maybe someday in the future, as the car ages, the style won't be timeless, but right now, I think it's cool how they sort of reimagined the interior to some degree. I mean, it's old news now, but putting in a giant control screen and pretty much making it the focus of the interior was pretty bold, and I definitely think the Model S needed something like that. You know, it's boldly different, but practical and not needlessly outlandish.

Agreed, have spent a whole lot of time with the upholstery and trim in the S (many different vehicles) and the quality/texture is excellent.
Now that my MSP is in the shop being eXtremed (details to be posted soon elsewhere) I have to agree with the above statement. It is then easier to build on what minimalism given to us rather than have to remove obvious eye-sores (though I am removing some ear-sores). One need for me (& maybe not others) is the CCI that I'm anxiously awaiting. Most of my changes are exterior, but the interior tweaks will definitely not be to everybody's taste. But that is why they have 31 flavors of ice cream. Hope y'all can find yours! :tongue: