Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the Model 3's PMSR Motor generate current during regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Earth
The rotor in a switched reluctance motor is just a piece of metal with no magnets so it doesn't produce current during regen like a traditional PM motor does. There is no rotating magnetic field. Rumor has it that the PMs in the Model 3 motor are imbedded in the stator between the poles (again, no rotating field). In the absence of a rotating magnetic field, how does this motor work during regen? Please educate me.:)

I've attached a link to decent article explaining how a switched reluctance motor works.

Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica

The motor, or at least the motor controller, certainly has some special sauce. But I suspect the basic construction is basically an IPM design, with perhaps some clever geometry and cleverer controller software.

Certainly much ado was made about how nobody has made a usable PMSRM motor for EV purposes due to the various downsides, and if everyone figures it out they'll all switch to it from regular PM motors (Tesla being the only or almost only company using induction motors).

Seems like magnets on the interior bit are normal for PMSMR : https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/634b/e5b8bebf550c83d67ff4c85c4e3fe5835a3f.pdf

Figure 7 looks a lot like this still from one of Munroe's videos (or perhaps it was the Motor Trend coverage of the teardown) : Tesla-Model-3-teardown-28

Why do we have a reason to think otherwise for the Model 3?
I don't see the rotor in that picture. The disc leaning on the stator in the picture is not the rotor, which should be along cylinder with a similar length to the stator.

I don't see the rotor in that picture. The disc leaning on the stator in the picture is not the rotor, which should be along cylinder with a similar length to the stator.
ACTUAL-Rotor-close-up-with-laminates-3.jpg

The rotor in a switched reluctance motor is just a piece of metal with no magnets so it doesn't produce current during regen like a traditional PM motor does. There is no rotating magnetic field. Rumor has it that the PMs in the Model 3 motor are imbedded in the stator between the poles (again, no rotating field). In the absence of a rotating magnetic field, how does this motor work during regen? Please educate me.:)

I've attached a link to decent article explaining how a switched reluctance motor works.

Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica
I do not trust this article, I can not see how permanent magnets in a stator can help with anything for brushless motor, it does not make any sense. I believe that PM are embedded in the rotor.