Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the range change when the character of driving changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stated 2.53 km/MJ is derived how? what test conditions was this under? If i take the roadster to the track 100 miles away, do a good hard 40 laps @ streets of willow, will i be able to make the 100 mi trip back to LA? How does the energy mileage change when the character of driving changes? This being a sports car makes this a potentially major point.

hey, compile a list of questions and private message me with them and i'm happy to ask them when I hopefully can interview a tesla employee.

My answer to your question is that I believe higher performance driving in a tesla roadster uses electricity faster however the difference between driving fast and slow in a electricar and in a gas car is that that the electric car will lose much less as it works the engine harder/mile then the gas car. Do you get what i'm sayiing?. So that is a bit of a problem I never considered. I spose you can stay near the track the night before or we can get them to set up a charging stating there. So 1 hr of charging there would give us an extra 83 miles. That would be the ultimate solution. Drive an 1 there. Drive all you want, Then charge it for an hour so you have plenty to make it home. Of course you'd have to charge it with a special charger which i'm sure the track owners could charge a premium for. and make some money on.

Depends on what you consider quick. Tesla's batery pack stores around 50kWh of energy.

A full charge in a minute would require equipement capable of delivering 7000Amps at 240V, that is 1,7 mega watts of power.
A 10 minute full charge still requiers electrical installation capable of delivering 170 kW of constant power.

I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about in regards to the specific batteries and system in the Tesla, but the way I understand it is that Lith-ion batteries charge faster up to 60-80% of capacity. I'm wondering if the above poster could charge for a couple of hours, if they had a charging system at the track and drive home at 50% capacity.

LiIon batteries are supposed to have no memory effect (or very small one), so partial charging should be possible. And also they do not like to be 100% charged. They age more rapidly in this state.

It would be nice if car could estimate curent remaing range. In this way you would only wait and 'fill' it up just enough :)

WarpedOne said:
LiIon batteries are supposed to have no memory effect (or very small one), so partial charging should be possible. And also they do not like to be 100% charged. They age more rapidly in this state.

It would be nice if car could estimate curent remaing range. In this way you would only wait and 'fill' it up just enough :)

I believe the car has a computer which tells you how much charge is left and how fast you are using it.