TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How does the Roadster do with steep driveways?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Daniel R. Lucas, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Daniel R. Lucas

I happen to live in a home with a fairly steep driveway. It doesn't scrape my Honda Civic SI or any other car that has pulled into it, but others have expressed concern over the possibility. How does the Roadster do with steep entrances? What about the adjustable suspension - does that help? (I believe the adjustable suspension was sold as an option)

2. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

It's a low car, so yes it can get scraped on a steep driveway. I've done it a few times in parking lots entrances, but luckily nothing serious or visible.

The sport adjustable suspension can change firmness, not height.

3. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

#3 spaceballs, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    It doesn't do it well, I can't get my roadster get up into my garage because of this.

4. Chris Lockfort

Chris Lockfort 2008 Roadster 1.5 + 2015 Zero SR

Approach angle in the front is 11 degrees.
    Departure angle in the rear (aka backing up) is 18 degrees.
    Breakover angle in the middle is 12.7 degrees.

... I have a steep driveway entrance (a pretty excessive drainage ditch for the non-existent rain we get here in California), but I make it work with some sideways finagling that I'm sure the neighbors laugh at.

5. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Thanks for these numbers, I've tried the rear and front with out success, I really didn't attempt an sideways finagling yet.

6. Daniel R. Lucas

Well, I drive a 2013 Civic SI currently which has 5.5" ground clearance (I'll measure it tonight to verify). I wonder if I could get away with a Roadster; I've never scraped my car on my driveway, but I don't want to buy a Roadster to find out that I can't park it in my driveway without destroying the underside.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I have the sedan, but this site says that the Civic SI Coupe has 5.1" of ground clearance: http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/honda-civic-coupe-si-2012.html#aeng_honda-civic-coupe-si-2012-24l-i-vtec

- - - Updated - - -

The Roadster has 5.12" of ground clearance according to here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4842-Ground-clearance

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

It's not just the clearance that signifies: it's the length and shape of the overhangs, and the wheelbase, too.

8. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I'm pretty sure the Roadster's overhangs are shorter than a Civic.

9. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

My driveway peaks out at a 24-26% grade (depending where along the width you are.) I can clear it if I go very slow (no suspension bounce) and don't have a passenger. (And the tires are full pressure)