Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the S90D handle in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in snow free Gilbert AZ. I will be driving to Linden UT next week and they are expecting snow. If I have the dual motors, do I still need a set of chains? I have driven in the snow, but like 20 years ago when I lived in Maine for 2 years, but again, 20 years ago. I have the stock tires that come with the car also. Still good tread with 13k miles on them. Any advice? Thanks.

I have a 60D not a 90D

The 60D does well with all season tires in the winter
It does great with winter tires on
Your 90D will too
But drive SLOWLY especially on turns and going over bridges, since you will not have the grip you need

Think about going slowly, then go 10-15 mph slower than that

If they have a lot of snowfall (8-12 inches or more) you will have problems as the Tesla had such low clearance
Your car will literally plow the snow and the snow will scrape your underbelly

That said, it never hurts to have chains, and they may be legally REQUIRED if there is significant snow

I live in snow free Gilbert AZ. I will be driving to Linden UT next week and they are expecting snow. If I have the dual motors, do I still need a set of chains? I have driven in the snow, but like 20 years ago when I lived in Maine for 2 years, but again, 20 years ago. I have the stock tires that come with the car also. Still good tread with 13k miles on them. Any advice? Thanks.
2nd winter with original all-seasons, 24,000 km on them. No problem on snow, not as good when icy but advice above about slowing down applies. Slow down early when coming to a stop as the regen can feel like the wheels are locked up and cause you to break traction and lose directional control. No ABS for regen.

The weight of the car means it typically has good traction, the traction control is very good when starting from stopped, but the weight that gives it good traction will make it want to go straight through a corner if traction isn't 100%. Take it easy, leave extra space to the car ahead, manage the regen, and you should have no problems. The car's a pretty good snowplow in deeper snow too, as long as it has traction. Don't forget about slip-start if you do get stuck.

It is good in the snow, if you know how to drive in snow. A few tips for you.

Stay away from the breaks! If you have to use them you are driving too close. You should be able to stop using the regen. I have gotten shorter stopping times using this, then with the anti lock breaks, when the roads are very slippery. Breaks make wheels stop and lock which induces skidding. The regen avoids this problem. This is why lots of people in snowy climates prefer ICE manuals, allows them to engine break.

Tires, Tires, Tires, Tires!!!!!!!! These are the key to safe winter driving! Why do you often see more 4WD vehcials off the road? This is because it helps them get going faster, and does nothing to help them stop any quicker. This fast acceleration gives the drivers false sense of safety, until they are sliding off the road. I would rather drive a RWD with good studded snow tires any day over a 4WD with all seasons. Remember the small area of the four tires touching the road is what you are trusting with your life, and others as well.

You need to know how bad it is. This depends on many variables, car: weight, type, speed, tires: age, type, loading, and road: Type, temp, coverage, bridge, ect.... So then how do you really know how bad the traction is. Test it. In a safe place going pretty slow in straight line, hit the breaks hard to simulate an emergency, what happens, does it stop on a dime, or does the traction control keep going off and takes forever to stop? This will give you instant feedback to what all the variables mean to you right now. Then adjust your driving to the conditions. Or maybe stop driving if your performance is unacceptable. Then decide what to do, put on chains, drive slower, wait for better conditions, go buy snows, take a different car ect.....

FYI I currently drive a 70D with the factory all seasons. Although I live in a relatively dry place with not too much snow each year. I did grow up in VT, where their is all different kinds of wintry fun on the roads every year. Places like this I would always invest in good winter tires.

Hopes this helps. :)

Have a safe trip.

Is the MS good in deep snow? Took the family on an outing today, the parking lot was packed and there were a couple of spots available with deep packed in snow. I was tempted but didn't try parking there since I know the MS is very low and with the flat bottom I have a feeling it would have "high centered" itself and I would have ended up stuck? I've got AWD and excellent winter tires but they aren't much good if they aren't bearing all the weight of the car.

Thanks for all of the imput. I don't have the air suspension for what that's worth. I plan to keep my distance and go slow like I did in Maine. I would rather make someone mad that I was going to slow than the alternative. I did get some chains if I need them. Since I have dual motors, I can put them upfront or on the rears. What's the best?

Has anyone done this trek? From AZ to UT? If so, if the mountain pass is closed, is there a way that is better that I can still charge? Because of work, I am leaving Tuesday early morning for a meeting that night. It says it's a 12 hour drive with charging, but I plan on giving my self 14 hours or so. Then driving back the next morning. Just looked at the weather and I should be in between storms. So that's good. It's a short trip for such a long drive I know. But I got to do what I got to do.....