Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the second system show in app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 16kw solar system with 2 Powerwall+. I wanted to add an additional Powerwall+ and now that Tesla no longer sells them as standalone I would have to add more solar panels as well. I have space so I thought if adding a 4kw system with one additional Powerwall+. Tesla Rep then informed me that these would show as two separate systems in the app. Is that true? Is there no way to tie this all into one system? I would like to see overall power added and how much power is left in my Powerwalls. This also seems like it will not increase my kw output from the Powerwalls and would not allow me to see how much overall energy or time remaining I have left.

Did I receive accurate information from the sales rep?

I have 3 PV systems on my house, 2 Tesla (one is former Solar City), plus Powerwalls. I can see the old Solar City one separately in the Tesla app (Data from the old "gateway" from the Xantrex inverter). I also see the total of the 3 PV systems in the app (data from the current transducers from the Powerwall). I could not get Tesla to show me the newest Tesla PV separately even though it is Tesla Solar inverter and it clearly uploads its own data separately.

I predict that minimally and by default you will get everything together. That's because the Powerwalls will be collected together and that is the sensible way Powerwalls to operate.

I have 3 PV systems on my house, 2 Tesla (one is former Solar City), plus Powerwalls. I can see the old Solar City one separately in the Tesla app (Data from the old "gateway" from the Xantrex inverter). I also see the total of the 3 PV systems in the app (data from the current transducers from the Powerwall). I could not get Tesla to show me the newest Tesla PV separately even though it is Tesla Solar inverter and it clearly uploads its own data separately.

I predict that minimally and by default you will get everything together. That's because the Powerwalls will be collected together and that is the sensible way Powerwalls to operate.
Thank you! It seems the rep may not have had all of the correct information and that data will be aggregated in the app rather than by each PV system as long as they are compatible. You will see them as separate systems but data will be aggregate. It seems that is what you are insinuating but pls correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you! It seems the rep may not have had all of the correct information and that data will be aggregated in the app rather than by each PV system as long as they are compatible. You will see them as separate systems but data will be aggregate. It seems that is what you are insinuating but pls correct me if I am wrong.
With Separate Powerwall systems, you will swipe right or left on your Powerwall screen and go to the other system. The reason for this I am told is to maintain separate control of each system.

Reactions: h2ofun
With Separate Powerwall systems, you will swipe right or left on your Powerwall screen and go to the other system. The reason for this I am told is to maintain separate control of each system.
Good point, I'm making the assumption that the Powerwall systems would be configured as a single system. If there is only one gateway/backup switch I would think that is the sensible configuration. I have heard of people with two independent systems (usually because they 400A service which feeds two 200A load centers).

Reactions: Vines
If I were to go down this route I would have a 16kW system with 2x Powerwall+ and a 4kW system with one Powerwall+. From the responses on this page I cannot draw the conclusion whether the Powerwalls will operate as a group or if they will be located on separate pages which would make it hard to set reserves and gauge how much power I would have left. I wonder if one can even be configured as the leader or the bunch if they cannot be combined. Im not getting much info from the sales rep and I lost the phone number for my install crew.

If I were to go down this route I would have a 16kW system with 2x Powerwall+ and a 4kW system with one Powerwall+. From the responses on this page I cannot draw the conclusion whether the Powerwalls will operate as a group or if they will be located on separate pages which would make it hard to set reserves and gauge how much power I would have left. I wonder if one can even be configured as the leader or the bunch if they cannot be combined. Im not getting much info from the sales rep and I lost the phone number for my install crew.
The answer is that each backup gateway, creates its own backup system. If you have all your generation, ESS and loads behind one gateway, then it will be 2 systems.

If you have a 200A service with backup switch, the generation and storage will always be 1 system.

Reactions: derichio02
I have the swipe left/right for 2 systems, one with Solar + Powerwall and one with just solar.
The one with powerwall has measurement / current transformers configured for the total in/out, so I only ever look at that one.
How were you able to get Tesla to create two accounts as you described so you swipe right or left to see each system? I’m requesting that from Tesla but not getting help. I have two inverters. Thanks for any advice

In my case, the first system was installed by Tesla, but the 2nd by Semper Solaris, so they likely were separate accounts on Tesla's back end servers, and have different network connections, that were joined so they both show up.
In your system,they're probably only showing you the aggregate inverter output, but their monitoring system should trigger if service is required to either part individually.