Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the Tesla charge when always plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently use a Rolec home charger with the ev.energy app to only charger between 00:30 and 04:30 based on the Octopus go tariff. I have a question about how the Tesla charges when just plugged in without using the ev.energy app. If I set my maximum charge to 80% and the SOC is 75% I assume that as soon as I plug it in it will charge up to 80%. As soon as it drops down to 79% I assume it will just start charging it back to 80%? or, does it drop the charge rate and just keep trickling it into the battery?

it also depends on how the car is set. if it is set to start charging at say midnight +30 for Octopus go. if you plug in at 1am it will start charging but if you plug in at 23:00 it will not. there is a cut off point at , I don't know say 12 hours, after the set time beyond which it will no longer start to charge or re-start to charge. The actual number is in the manual somewhere. However it will still draw current for precondition sentry etc for the whole 24 hour period if plugged in

it also depends on how the car is set. if it is set to start charging at say midnight +30 for Octopus go. if you plug in at 1am it will start charging but if you plug in at 23:00 it will not. there is a cut off point at , I don't know say 12 hours, after the set time beyond which it will no longer start to charge or re-start to charge. The actual number is in the manual somewhere. However it will still draw current for precondition sentry etc for the whole 24 hour period if plugged in

Strangely, I've never thought about that issue! As you say, there must be a cut off time. The reason I've never thought about it is because in practice whenever I've plugged the car in at any time during the day (it is set to start charging at 00:30) it just comes up on the screen that charging will start at 00:30. I suppose I always had the Octopus 4 hour slot in my head but of course the car knows nothing about that! Anyway I'm not going to stay up all through the night and early hours to test it!

Strangely, I've never thought about that issue! As you say, there must be a cut off time. The reason I've never thought about it is because in practice whenever I've plugged the car in at any time during the day (it is set to start charging at 00:30) it just comes up on the screen that charging will start at 00:30. I suppose I always had the Octopus 4 hour slot in my head but of course the car knows nothing about that! Anyway I'm not going to stay up all through the night and early hours to test it!
If only there was a way to find out that did not involve staying up all night.
I know 💡
You could set the start time to 4am then go out and plug the car in every hour through out the day to see when it stopped charging.
OR
and I know this is a bit left field, you could just RtFM? :)

Just set your scheduled charging in the car to begin at 00:30. And then configure EV.energy to stop charging at 04:30, if you don't want to charge outside the cheaper tariff no matter what.

That way if you plug the car before 00:30 then it will simply wait until that time to actually start charging, even if it is below the charge limit. Not sure what would happen as @Adopado says if you plugged it in at, say, 01:00 - whether it would start charging straight away, or tell you that the charge is scheduled for the following day at 00:30.

and I know this is a bit left field, you could just RtFM? :)

OK smarty pants !! So here's the answer from the manual :p :

If, at the scheduled time, Model 3 is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time. If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jason71 and Durzel
OK smarty pants !! So here's the answer from the manual :p :

If, at the scheduled time, Model 3 is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time. If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging.
Ahh my favourite solution: GSEtRtFMaPiotF

(Get Someone Else to RtFM and Post it on the Forum)

😂