Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trade in work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I just give Tesla details of my existing car, they come back with a quote and I can either accept/reject?

Effectively, yes. You will get a link via text message that will have you upload specific photos of the car and your registration. From my experience, they will only match Carmax appraisal values if higher.

I ended up using Carvana. Still less then a private sale, but significantly more then both Tesla and Carmax offered, and really painless to complete.

I got quotes from Carvana and another site (I forget which one). Both came in at around $7100 for my 2012 Ford Mustang with 108,000 miles on it. I submitted all of my info to Tesla for the trade-in and they offered $6800 which I gladly took. For me the $300 difference was worth the convenience of dropping my old car off right when I picked up my Model 3. Had I gone with Carvana or some other place to sell my old car I would have had the hassle of dealing with a rental car for a few days or even a week, plus figuring out transportation to pick up my Model 3.

As others have mentioned you don’t have to accept Tesla’s offer on your trade-in. If you don’t like their offer just reject it if you can get a better deal elsewhere. At least for my case the Tesla trade-in offer was right around what I was hoping for based on trade-in values I research on KBB and Edmunds. To be honest I thought I made out like a bandit getting $6800 for a Mustang with over 100K miles on it! Even if the offer you get from Tesla is slightly less than other places make sure you factor in the convenience of being able to drop your car off at Tesla when you pick up your Model 3.